The Hardest Challenge Ever!...Need help with a formula that extract and sorts unique values from a data set.

cwfromct

Hi everyone, I have been searching for a formula that would do the following, extract unique values from a frequency chart..Please excuse me I am new to this form and limited knowledge of excel. (I am not a spreadsheet master..lol)

example of the chart:
abcde
1gas205
2trv205302
3gas320205
4gas320205450302
5gas220

<tbody>
</tbody>

This what I want the end result to be.
codeqtycodeqty
gas44501
3202trv1

<tbody>
</tbody>

I know I can use the count formula in qty column, my problem is finding a formula that would extract the unique values from the data set in code column..I know this is complex because I have been searching everywhere for it. I can find one that would go in rows or columns but not in both direction..keep in mind I am using excel 2007 has to work dynamically and be compatible with other spreadsheets such as google spreadsheets if possible...I personally thank you in advance for your help,
Chris.

Excel Facts

Pivot Table Drill Down
Double-click any number in a pivot table to create a new report showing all detail rows that make up that number
If I understand you correctly, your easiest path might be just to copy all of the individual columns in one column one on top of the other and then use Advanced Filter to remove dupes (ie if you have 1000 rows, column A will go from 1-1000,B from 1001-2000) etc...

Cheers, :)

Upvote 0
That would the easiest if would it would work..I tried that and I get The extract range has missing or a illegal field name..I do not think that would work anyways many people would using the spreadsheet..A dynamic formula would work..

I have tried this Array formula =IF(ROWS(A$8:A8)>I$25,"",INDEX(A$1:A$5,SMALL(IF(FREQUENCY(IF(A$1:A$5<>"",MATCH(A$1:A$5,A$1:A$5,0)),ROW(A$1:A$5)-ROW(A$1)+1),ROW(A$1:A$5)-ROW(A$1)+1),ROWS($A$8:A8)))) somewhat does what I want..but it only does the one column...I need it to do all columns.

The I$25 is a cell that counts the unique values. the cell I$25 has formula =SUMPRODUCT(--(A1:e5<>""),1/COUNTIF(A1:e5,A1:e5&"")) in it.

Upvote 0
I'm not sure how you are getting the error message(I can't imagine getting this error without typing something in wrong). I suggest if you need a dynamically updating list that you record a macro that will copy and paste the relevant columnar data one on top of the other, remove the duplicates using Advanced Filter then pasting it to the location where you want the unique list.

Cheers, :)

Upvote 0
that video is really good!emt 473. How do expand the formula to work in both directions(rows and columns) or maybe go through each columns then go through the rows?A pivot table is nice.but that wont work only because that has to be refreshed ever so often.

could this be expanded to work in both direction?
=IF(ROWS(A$8:A8)>I$25,"",INDEX(A$1:A$5,SMALL(IF(FREQUENCY(IF(A$1:A$5<>"",MATCH(A$1:A$5,A$1:A$5,0)),ROW(A$1:A$5)-ROW(A$1)+1),ROW(A$1:A$5)-ROW(A$1)+1),ROWS($A$8:A8)))) somewhat does what I want..but it only does the rows in one column...I need it to do all columns.

I will check out stack over flow...thanks

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lorie1693

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back