The macro may not be available in this workbook or all macros may be disabled

lordterrin

Board Regular
I have no idea what happened to my workbook.

I have been writing it for about two weeks, and all of the sudden when I load it now I cannot execute any macros using button clicks. (I have several buttons linked to execute macros.)

I can still run them by going to Macros --> View Macros.

When I load up the file, I no longer get the prompt that asks me whether or not I want to enable macros. I've checked the security settings in Developer --> Macro Security and I don't think anything has changed here. It's set to disable with notification.

This destroys my entire sheet and makes it unusable, so I would LOVE to understand what happened and why this is all screwed up. The file is not password protected.

I can send the file to someone in a PM if it helps analyze it.

The last thing I did on my file was try to add a splash screen using the file "simplesplash.zip" from this website:

Message box to pop-up at file open

It worked, until I saved the workbook, closed Excel, and reopened. This is when all of my macros stopped working from button clicks.

Thank you so much! :ROFLMAO:

Excel Facts

How to find 2nd largest value in a column?
MAX finds the largest value. =LARGE(A:A,2) will find the second largest. =SMALL(A:A,3) will find the third smallest
Okay,

To add to the confusion........ it's like part of the file autosaved over an old version of a previous file...

In between the last time I saved, and the time before, I created a new sheet with a bunch of data in it, and renamed a bunch of my macros to make the whole thing easier to follow.

After adding this last "splash screen" part and saving the file, Sheet3 is now gone. The macro NAMES that I changed still have the "changed" names in them, but the actual macro that is referenced by the button clicks are still the old names, (e.g. - I had changed the name of Macro1 to "BuildIndex," then changed the button to reference "BuildIndex" instead of "Macro1." Now, the macro is named "BuildIndex," but the button still references "Macro1." - even though I changed them prior to saving! This is so strange!

It also looks as though ALL of the work I had done in between saves was not actually saved, as none of my changes are in the code when I look at it now. I don't know what I did....

If I go right click a button, assign macro, and choose the macro again, I can run it just fine, but Excel is still not asking me whether or not I want to enable macros when I load the sheet - and the sheet I created prior to saving is still gone. :( This makes me very sad.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leon Leenders

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back