The most bizarre behaviour in Excel with frozen windows

FenceFurniture

CAVEAT: I have a wide reputation for being the King of Weird Inexplicable Crap in matters of all kinds.
This is no exception. :unsure:

I am no longer able to successfully freeze my columns/rows. (been going on for about 6 months or more)

There is one particular sheet that I use all the time, and I freeze cell F3. It should look like this:
Music stable.JPG

The oval shapes are all macro buttons. That all works as it should....until I do ANY copy and paste. When I use either the vertical or horizontal scroll bar, what happens then is that the areas above or to the left of the frozen area jumps around like it has the worst case of St Vitus Dance. It will actually stop in place when I stop scrolling, and that looks like this:

Jitterbug.JPG

As you can see, row 1 is fully visible, but the content is not! Whenever I scroll down or up by dragging the bar, AND ONLY by dragging the bar, the content in rows 1 and 2 does a constant jitterbug up and down until I stop scrolling - and will be anywhere out of place - never in the right place.

At the same time, the content below the line that should show as scrolling through....stays still so that I don't know where to scroll to!

Using the arrows above or below the scroll bar does not create any problem.

This became so much if a pita that I actually wrote a macro called Freezer (magenta buttons in the first screen capture) - it unfreezes and refreezes the pane when I need to (after any copy & paste).

I'll wager that nobody has ever seen this behaviour before. I REALLY don't want to re-install Excel (would that fix it?) because I have customised things so very much, and can't remember A) what I've customised or B) how to do it again. I'm ok at doing this stuff when I'm on a roll, but then it leaves my head almost completely.

Excel Facts

Format cells as date
Select range and press Ctrl+Shift+3 to format cells as date. (Shift 3 is the # sign which sort of looks like a small calendar).
The other thing I noticed with this Excel version (right from the very start in 2016) is that the vertical scroll bar is "sticky" and jumpy - it doesn't scroll smoothly, and there is an annoying delay. It seems to scroll in batches or blocks of rows. Anyone else got that?

Upvote 0
I have captured this in a screenshot video which is a 1.0MB MP4. Not sure if I can upload vids here though.....nope.

Upvote 0
Well I'll be. This spread sheet seems to have coughed up a fur ball last night. Apart from the jitters for more than the last year, for the last few months I have never been able to delete the last 200-300 blank lines to get the scroll bar sitting at the bottom, and show the last actual used line. That is, when the last actual line is at the bottom of the window there was still about ¾" of scrolling to go, and conversely, when the scroll bar was at the bottom there were 200-300 blank lines above it. Given the "stickiness" of the scroll bar in this version of Excel (2016), this has been a bit of a nuisance.

So for the last week or so I have had about 10 lines at the end that I have been using for some temporary work (super simple), which has now finished, and I deleted those 10 lines. Lo and behold, the scroll bar problem has been corrected, and there seems to be no more jittering! I hope I am not tempting fate by reporting on this (such is the black magic of what has been happening). There was no mystery hidden shape or anything else I could find. I had also turned on a couple of filtered columns, and then off, but I can't see how that would affect anything.

Upvote 0
With respect....Youtube videos and screenshots will do nothing to help you resolve the issue.
Do you have th same issues on ALL computers ?
Amongst the macros are there any worksheet selection change events running ?
You will either need to post the codes you are using AND / OR upload the wrokbook to a hosting site, dropbox for instance, so we can look at / try it in real time.

Upvote 0
Only one computer here, no change events used. It was happening without running any macros at all. As soon as I selected a cell within the frozen zone it would start its nonsense behaviour. At one stage I did email the sheet to someone else (capable with Excel), and there was no bad behaviour reported.

Most importantly though, as I said in my last post, it appears to be suddenly resolved.

Upvote 0
Rich (BB code):
it appears to be suddenly resolved.
Wish I could take the credit for that !!!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uzair Tahir Khan

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back