There must be a better way than repeated "countif"...

jan001

Board Regular
I'm starting an analysis of workload based on location and nature of the work done. I have 95 separate locations and 28 types of work. What I've started off doing is just apply <strong>=countif</strong> using the range for each specific location as they appear in the results of a search I've already done, and the specific nature of the work. For instance, <strong>=countif(e1825:e1848,"station 20")</strong>, then <strong>=countif(e1849:e1981,"station 21")</strong>, etc.

There must be a faster way...mustn't there? I've begged for VBA training which would probably help but have been told "no" often enough that I've quit asking. Is there a non-VBA way?

This seems so elementary and I keep thinking there must be some command that would parse it out for me, but so far I haven't happened on it, probably because I'm not speaking Excel well enough in my query criteria. Any thoughts?

Will a pivot table do these counts? Would something else?

Excel Facts

Excel Can Read to You
Customize Quick Access Toolbar. From All Commands, add Speak Cells or Speak Cells on Enter to QAT. Select cells. Press Speak Cells.
Yes, a pivot table is the answer. Let's suppose the column header in E is "Stations", You will create a pivot table on the source date and COUNT by Stations.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mtsheetz

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back