thinning data for graphing

longzoo

I have a data set that is 57000 rows long and i need to graph it! a normal graph in excel 2007 will not print that many rows (nor do i need that many points) How can i thin that data such that i get a point displayed every 10 or 100. ie. i would get 5700 points or 570 points even!
i have been searching for "thin data excel" and get alot of hits on thinning the bars or borders but nothing on thinning the data :(
many thanks in advance
dave

Excel Facts

VLOOKUP to Left?
Use =VLOOKUP(A2,CHOOSE({1,2},$Z$1:$Z$99,$Y$1:$Y$99),2,False) to lookup Y values to left of Z values.
Next to the data place every tenth cell = to the data cells. Select the new column and Copy and paste values only. Filter out all the blanks. And then select the new range of cells. and create a graph. this will allow you to have points within the range for every tenth piece of data. If you are doing this repeatedly then record a macro.

Nicole

Upvote 0
thanks for the reply Nicole, i actually started to do that but 57000 points! unfortunately i am doing this quite a bit but the row count can be anywhere from a few thousand to 87000 or so. (it's data collection at 1 hz so a 24 hour test yields 86,400)
i thought i remembered somewhere in the back of my mind "thinning" data for graphing...maybe it was with some other software package

Upvote 0
I'm actually not that good with VBA however. If it is something that you need to do many times then I would record a macro. When recording I would recommend that your data is in a table so that the range can be indefinite. When your done recording adjust things here and there. You can place it here and we can simplify it and make it work.

Nicole

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tmmotairi

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back