Time/Date Problems

DanRoss

I am trying to build a chart with relative time on the x-axis. I have found that some charts allow the x-axis to use a time scale, but my chart is graying out that option. I think it is because either I have times over 5 days without associated dates or because my times are not true numbers. I tried multiplying what looked like a date but was left justified by 1 and get a column that now has times right justified (like a number) but every other column that had been blank now has 00:00:00.00 in it.

I tried to use an IF(NOT(ISBLANK(A2)... type formula to get rid of the zero times created, but the data (with every other line blank) returns a "TRUE" for both circumstances where the cell has a value and where the cell appears not to have anything in it. I did take and execute a 'clear contents' on one of the apparently blank cells and the IF statement worked fine... but clearing every other cell manually for 1751 lines is a bit time consuming.

What is in a blank cell that is confusing my IF statements, and how do I see what is in a cell that looks blank. I am assuming that if I can overcome this problem, I can concantenate the appropriate integers to the times and then do a timescale. When I do small sample examples to prove my chart theory, I can get time-scale data, but the x-axis is all iln large numbers with decimal tails (Excel Time)... is there a way to plot with the excel time but label the graph with the understandable date/time format we all recognize?

Excel Facts

Links? Where??
If Excel says you have links but you can't find them, go to Formulas, Name Manager. Look for old links to dead workbooks & delete.
After slogging through 8 hours on the site searches and a Mr Excel workbook we had bought a while back, I was totally mystified. As a last resort, I installed Excel 2007 and everything worked exactly as advertised.

I don't know what was wrong, but either the installation or the newer version made the difference. I guess that is why nobody offered a solution... it must be 2003...

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocbudda

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back