time formating

hmonat

Hi, I have to enter lots of data in time format. is there a way to format a cell so that it automatically enter the semicolumn :)) after 2 digits?? for example if I type 2345, it would format it as 23:45.

Excel Facts

Save Often
If you start asking yourself if now is a good time to save your Excel workbook, the answer is Yes
let's assume your times are in column A, starting with cell A1
once you are done, insert a column to the right of your time
type the following in cell B1 =left(A1,2)&":" & right (A1,2)

Double click the dark black square on the bottom right of cell B1 to fill for the whole column of dates
copy column B
Paste special Values in column A
Delete Column B

Upvote 0
Thanks for the hint, however when I need to enter time 0023, the formula result is 23:00 where it shud be 00:23, does it have something to do with how the cell is formatted?? (Time, number, general, etc...)

Upvote 0
Set all cells that you will enter data into as TEXT formatted cells. Then make your entries.

Upvote 0
Hi, I have to enter lots of data in time format. is there a way to format a cell so that it automatically enter the semicolumn [it is a colon] after 2 digits?? for example if I type 2345, it would format it as 23:45.
when I need to enter time 0023, the formula result is 23:00 where it shud be 00:23

If your data is in A1:A1000, enter the following into B1 and copy down through B1000:

=--TEXT(A1,"00\:00")

If you wish, you can copy B1:B1000 and paste-value into A1:A1000 to replace the original data; then delete B1:B1000.

I assume you want a numeric time result, as if you had typed 23:45. The double-negate ("--") converts the text result to numeric time.

If you want text, as Puertorekinsam's formula left you, simply omit the double-negate.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
greyangel23

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back