Time (hh:mm) format

shanefowlkes

This is probably really simple but how can I format cells in Excel 2000 to store time as hours:minutes. I currently have them formatted as "Time" and the sample shows 13:30 but I think it's showing the time of day (ex 1:30pm) instead of hh:mm. I want to have a column that stores hh:mm and to be able to sum it at the bottom.

Thanks

Excel Facts

Save Often
If you start asking yourself if now is a good time to save your Excel workbook, the answer is Yes
So why when I format a cell(s) with that (as Time and as Custom) does the formula bar show 1:30:00 AM for "1:30" AND when I sum up a column using this format, it doesn't work?

Thx

Upvote 0
off hand - don't know! I am surprised that you're getting 01:30:00 AM !?! How are your time values being generated? As far as the sum is concerned, the format shouldn't make a difference to whether it 'works' or not, just to what results get displayed. Care to post a snapshot of your data using the html maker from the link below, or provide more info on the formula you're using?

Paddy

Upvote 0
Does this help?

http://www.premierewebs.com/admin/sample.xls

In column F, I'm tracking hours and minutes spent on a given task. I want to sum it all up as needed. It's that simple.

Would it be easier just to record minutes (1.5 hours AKA 1:30 = 90 minutes) and just divide by 60 in my sum to get hours? If I do, what happens when have..say 100 minutes. It comes to 1.6666 hours. How can I figure the remaining minutes?

Thx.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Armadillos

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back