Time/hour question

bowelripper

Hello!

I have a couple of questions concerning the use of time/hours in Excel 2007.

Firstly, it seems I have to use a colon for the time format. In other words 7 in the morning must be entered as 07:00 in a cell, but in Norway where I live the correct format is 07.00 (alternatively 0700). If I try the latter it just gets messed up. Is it possible to work with the latter format? How? (By the way, we use the 24-hour system here.)

Secondly, I have a formula where I need to state that if a certain hour in a cell is less than /earlier than 07:00 it should calculate a value. Example where let's say B8 equals 06:00: =IF(B8<07:00;(07:00-B8)*24;0). The problem is that Excel won't accept 07:00 as a value in the formula bar, so how can I reformulate this?

Thanks,
BR

Excel Facts

How to create a cell-sized chart?
Tiny charts, called Sparklines, were added to Excel 2010. Look for Sparklines on the Insert tab.
Welcome to MrExcel.

For your second query use TIMEVALUE()
eg. =IF(B8< TIMEVALUE("07:00");(TIMEVALUE("07:00")-B8)*24;0)

Your first query concerns international settings. I think.

Upvote 0
Hello

Two more ways to handle this:

<table valign="middle" colspan="3" style="font-family: Calibri; color: rgb(0, 0, 0); background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255); font-size: 11px; font-weight: normal; font-style: normal;" border="1" cellpadding="2" cellspacing="0"><colgroup><col width="28"><col width="60"><col width="60"></colgroup><tbody><tr style="background-color: rgb(250, 250, 250);"><td colspan="3" align="middle">Arbeitsblatt mit dem Namen 'Tabelle1'</td></tr><tr style="background-color: rgb(202, 202, 202);"><td>
</td><td align="middle">B</td><td align="middle">C</td></tr><tr><td style="background-color: rgb(202, 202, 202);" align="middle">8</td><td align="right">06:00</td><td align="right">1</td></tr><tr><td style="background-color: rgb(202, 202, 202);" align="middle">9</td><td align="right">06:00</td><td align="right">1</td></tr></tbody></table>
<table valign="middle" colspan="2" style="table-layout: auto; color: rgb(0, 0, 0); background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255); font-family: Calibri; font-size: 10px;" border="3" cellpadding="2" cellspacing="0"><colgroup><col width="40"><col></colgroup><tbody><tr style="background-color: rgb(238, 170, 170);"><td>Zelle</td><td>Formel</td></tr><tr><td>C8</td><td>=IF(B8<7/24,(7/24-B8)*24,0)</td></tr><tr><td>C9</td><td>=IF(B9<TIME(7,0,0),(TIME(7,0,0)-B9)*24,0)</td></tr></tbody></table>

Upvote 0
Alright, thanks a lot for the fast answers! They solved my problems! I'm still wondering about my first question, though, but it's not really a big deal.

Upvote 0
You can use VBA to convert it, by the latter method do you mean the one with the decimal point or the one without?

Upvote 0
You can use VBA to convert it, by the latter method do you mean the one with the decimal point or the one without?

I would prefer the one with the decimal point (actually, in Norwegian the comma is the decimal point and the period is the time separator). What is VBA?

Upvote 0
It's a programming language that comes with Excel, it is based on Visual Basic and is called Visual Basic for Applications.

Upvote 0
You do not have to convert anything VBA is already part of Excel. Open up Excel and select Alt + F11 and this will open the VBA editor (VBE) and this is where you enter code.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Arle8907

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back