Time Stamp Based on Conditional IF statement

mduberst

Hi All,

I am trying to write a function that creates a timestamp when a certain word is entered in a specific cell. The problem is, the value of the cell that the timestamp is based on is constantly changing. I want the timestamp to record the date the first time the formula is found true, and then keep that result, no matter what else happens in the cell the formula is triggered by.

here is the formula i have worked up so far: =IF(B1="quoted_2",IF(A1="",TODAY(),A1),"")

i turned on iterations and set it to 1. below is an illustration of the desired result.

ACTUAL DATESTATUSDATE QUOTED
12/11/16Received_1
12/13/16Quoted_212/13/2016
12/17/16Approved_312/13/2016

<tbody>
</tbody>

Excel Facts

How to calculate loan payments in Excel?
Use the PMT function: =PMT(5%/12,60,-25000) is for a $25,000 loan, 5% annual interest, 60 month loan.
You will need VBA to do that.
Are you trying to put this value in column A or C?
How does the other date column come into play, if at all?

Upvote 0
sorry, i guess my example sort of muddled things. the actual date column was just to illustrate how i need the date quoted to remain constant once the actual date changes. the formula i wrote was on a mock sheet, i figured i'd keep it simple and try to get it to work in a1, then just change the names of the cells as needed. i have looked in to trying to do this with VBA but i dont really know anything about it.

Upvote 0
There is special VBA code call Event Procedures, which is VBA code that runs automatically upon some event happening, like the update of certain cells. We can create code that will run whenever column B is updated with a certain value, and column A is blank.

The code has to be written a certain way, and needs to be put in a specific VBA module. There is a good write-up on event procedures here: Events In Excel VBA

So, right-click on the sheet tab name at the bottom of your sheet, select View Code, and paste the following code in the resulting VB Editor window:
Code:
Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range)

Dim myRange As Range
    Dim cell As Range

'   Check to see if column B updated (if not, exit)
    Set myRange = Intersect(Target, Range("B:B"))
    If myRange Is Nothing Then Exit Sub

'   Loop through changed cells in column B
    For Each cell In myRange
'       Check value in column B and check to see if column A is blank
        If LCase(cell) = "quoted_2" And cell.Offset(0, -1) = "" Then
            cell.Offset(0, -1) = Date
        End If
    Next cell

End Sub
Now go ahead and try it out by adding values in column B. It will automatically update column A with a hard-coded datestamp if you enter "quoted_2" in column B and column A is blank.

Upvote 0
thanks! it works! awesome. any chance you know javascript well enough to translate this to javascript for me? i want to use this in google sheets

Upvote 0
any chance you know javascript well enough to translate this to javascript for me? i want to use this in google sheets
Sorry, but I don't. Just starting to learn JavaScript.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
excelquestion515

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back