Time weighted returns

Mania112

If someone holds an investment on 1 Jan 2021, it's easy to see how much the percentage growth is on 31 December 2021 if there were no contributions/withdrawals during the period (100x final-initial / initial).

If someone added money to their investment, my opinion is that a time-weighting is now necessary in order to more fairly and accurately consider that additional money into the investment. Equally, the same applies to withdrawals. To tackle this, I am using XIRR. XIRR should be for multiple years, I think, but it seems to accurately portray my requirement for 1 year (please tell me if that isn't working as it appears to be).

However, some of our clients need this assessment of their investment every 6 months. Is there a way to consider the 'total return' with time-weighted application of contributions and withdrawals, for any period, not just annually?

Excel Facts

Whats the difference between CONCAT and CONCATENATE?
The newer CONCAT function can reference a range of cells. =CONCATENATE(A1,A2,A3,A4,A5) becomes =CONCAT(A1:A5)
Sorry - my title should have said 'money weighted returns', time is something else XIRR = Money-weighted :)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
staticfluids

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back