Time

maxflia10

What are the consequences of using a custom format of [mm] and b1-a1 versus b1-a1*24*60

Excel Facts

When they said...
When they said you are going to "Excel at life", they meant you "will be doing Excel your whole life".
On 2002-10-16 11:23, maxflia10 wrote:
What are the consequences of using a custom format of [mm] and b1-a1 versus b1-a1*24*60

The [mm] format translates an internal date/time value into minutes... leaving the underlying value as is -- expressed in terms of days. =(B1-A1)*24*60 or =(B1-A1)*1440 produces a value in terms of minutes.

Upvote 0
OK now I'm trying to get rid of 0's without using the Tools/Options and custom formatting. I have in a cell this formula

=IF(COUNT(E7,G7),SUM(AH7-AG7)*1440,"")

However when time is entered only in E7 I get the ### error. How can I construct this formula so that both e7 and g7 have times, until then the cell with the formula is blank?

Upvote 0
=IF(COUNT(E7,G7)=2,(AH7-AG7)*1440,"")

...however, it's unclear what's the relationship among your columns E:E, G:G, AH:AH, and AG:AG.
This message was edited by Mark W. on 2002-10-16 12:48

Upvote 0
Mark,

What I'm attempting is custom formatting columns E and with 00:00, then in columns AH and AG I have this

=(LEFT(REPT("0",4-LEN(E6))&E6,2)&":"&RIGHT(E6,2))+0

Trying not to type in the ":", the users of this spreadsheet had requested this.

Thanks for the help!

Upvote 0
You could also use this array formula...

{=SUM(MID(TEXT(E6,"0000"),{1,3},2)/{24,1440})}

Note: This is an array formula which must be entered using the Control+Shift+Enter key combination. The outermost braces, { }, are not entered by you -- they're supplied by Excel in recognition of a properly entered array formula. For more on array formulas see the Excel Help topic for "About array formulas and how to enter them".

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ruhulaminappu

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back