Timelines/stacked bar charts

smurrells

I have read lots of information regarding timelines,stacked bar charts, gannt charts, but have not been succesful in displaying information I require.

I have a certain number of projects on the go at once, all at different stages. I want to be able to display all these stages at once for each project together based on the actual or expected dates.

To give an example: Say I was a housing developer (I'm not!) and had 5 different houses I was working on. I would want a chart that would display each of these 5 houses as a seperate series. For each house I would want to know when the plans would be submitted to planning, when a decision is expected, when I could start construction and when people could move in.
So I would want a stacked bar chart, the first stage, say up to Dec '09 is pre-planning, before planning in Dec '09. The next stage is awaiting a decision until July'10 when a decision is expected. Third stage is construction etc

So from the sketches I have, a stacked bar chart should be possible. Time on the X axis, hopefully a continuos data series. On the Y axis would be my 5 projects and the stacked bars would show pre-planning taking up until Dec '09 then awaiting decision until July '10.

This will allow me to see where all projects are in time relativeto each other.

If anyone can help me work out how to create such a chart I would be most grateful.

Regards,

Simon Murrells

Excel Facts

Square and cube roots
The =SQRT(25) is a square root. For a cube root, use =125^(1/3). For a fourth root, use =625^(1/4).
I've had a look at the Gaant chart information on the website suggested as well as looking for other information on there. Can't seem to find anything that would suggest that Instead of having seperate tasks I can have several projects in one chart with the different tasks/stages(that are independent of each other).

I'm sure it is all about how you initially display the data, my major issue seems to be that I cannot make the X axis into a continuous data series.

Simon

Upvote 0
Hi. I think in a manner I have managed it now using all of the links I have bodged something together.

Many Thanks for the links,

Simon

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alex78

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back