Timestamp Help

PlumGr8

Board Regular
Hi, so i am trying to get one last thing working on my work excel before i leave. I have tried a couple of the macros that i have found on this site, but couldn't get them to fully work.

So basically i have 12 cells where they update automatically and i am trying to set it up so they also timestamp automatically then their values change - D6, D9, D12, D15, F6, F9, F12, F15, H6, H9, H12, H15

I tried to make the macro work where it checks the column overall for changes and updates the time stamp in the same row 1 column over, but it just wouldn't do anything for me.

Any last min help would be great, thanks everyone

Excel Facts

Quick Sum
Select a range of cells. The total appears in bottom right of Excel screen. Right-click total to add Max, Min, Count, Average.
You said:
So basically I have 12 cells where they update automatically

Tell me how this happens. Nothing in Excel normally unless it's a formula related change happens automatically.

And if you already have a script that changes these cells please show me the script.

You also said:
I tried to make the macro work where it checks the column overall for changes and updates the time stamp in the same row 1 column over, but it just wouldn't do anything for me.

I need you to tell me what column and when you say one column over. Does this mean one column to the right or one column to the left.

And when you say Time Stamp,

Do you want Date and time or just Time
And show me how you want this data to look.

Say something like

Month Day Year

Some users want precise formatting and others do not care.

There are numerous ways to format a Time Stamp

After answering all these questions I will give it my best to help you.

And I'm sure you know this must be done by Vba. I would not know how to do this with just a formula.

Upvote 0
Hi, thanks for the reply.

So i have a workbook on the work computer, couple different sheets and a couple macros that compile the information into a separate block of totals. The sheet i am trying to do simply pulled the relevant data from the sheet with the macros etc and just shows the relevant totals to that sheet. SO anytime say D6 goes from 7 to 8 i am trying to get it time stamped, date and time would be best.

So if D6 updates, E6 shows the timestamp. MM/DD/YYYY HH:MM

I am also unable to provide screen shot examples etc because the work book is in a separate system and secured, so the going back and forth can be a pain. But i appreciate the help and thank you

Upvote 0
OK I understand more.
You said:
SO anytime say D6 goes from 7 to 8

What causes D6 to change.

If a Vba script causes it to change I need to add my script to that script.

Can you not show me the script which causes D6 to change

And is it only D6.

Upvote 0
There is no script on that page. The original page has the script/macro/formulas on it, this page is separate all by itself. I use to have a function button for this, but trying to make it just auto change anytime the value changes. And can't get a copy as its on a secured computer, and i can't transfer from one to the other. A pain for sure

Upvote 0
You said in previous posting:
So if D6 updates, E6 shows the timestamp. MM/DD/YYYY HH:MM

I asked in previous post:

What causes D6 to change. And you did not provide a answer.

I can tell E6 to do a Time stamp when D6 changes manually but I have no way of telling E6 to do a time stamp if a formula causes the change

Unless I'm missing something you have not told me how D6 changes. Does D6 change as a result of a script in another sheet.

Again I ask what causes D6 to change????

Last edited:
Upvote 0
If the value in D6 changes do to a manual change or a script.

Put this script in the sheet where D6 changes:

This is an auto sheet event script
Your Workbook must be Macro enabled
To install this code:
Right-click on the sheet tab
Select View Code from the pop-up context menu
Paste the code in the VBA edit window
Code:
Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range)
'Modified  6/22/2019  1:45:56 PM  EDT
If Target.Address = Range("D6").Address Then Range("E6").Value = Format(Now, "MM/DD/YYYY HH:MM")
End Sub

Upvote 0
I'll have to save this and work on it next year when i get back to work there. Thank you for the reply, i will play with it on my own, see if i can get it work then adapt it to all the other required cells as well. But to see if it works in the work file, that will have to wait until next February, but thanks again for the help

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlosWin

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back