tiny spread sheet that takes 30 seconds to save...

baljs53

this slow opening spreadsheet was originally created in office 97, then modified in subsequent versions, and ultimately opened and saved in office xp. when office xp opens the spreadsheet, which consists of very simple calcs and twelve sheets with no macros, the first thing office xp asks is whether to disable, or enable macros. But there never were macros, nor do they exist when I check the macro list for 'this workbook.' so it cant be due to macros, i guess.

i thought the slow opening maybe attributed to print area and page break view. but i ruled that out by removing any such settings.

when i copied the cells over to sheets in a new workbook, the new workbook does not ask about the macros. but interestingly enough, the old workbook no longer took 30 seconds to open. both the newly created, and the old workbook would open and save in less than a second.

but, the old workbook still asks whether to enable or disable macros, even though they dont exist.

is this all attributed to migrating old spreadsheets into new versions of excel. and should i painstakingly copy cells into new sheets in new workbooks. will this be my only solution, or do you have a better suggestion?

thanks.

Excel Facts

Is there a shortcut key for strikethrough?
Ctrl+S is used for Save. Ctrl+5 is used for Strikethrough. Why Ctrl+5? When you use hashmarks to count |||| is 4, strike through to mean 5.
Welcome to the forum.

You must have a module, maybe without any macros in it. Open the VBE and see if you have any modules listed. If so, delete them. If this doesn't solve the enable/disable issue, check each sheet as well as ThisWorkbook. Don't think this is causing the slow response though, but it should clear up the macro issue.

Upvote 0
baljs53,
The first thing is that if you are getting the enable macro's message there is difentify code in the workbook. It sounds like you might have a event macro that's doing something on close. There may also be hidden workbooks, you should check that as well.

To view code, press Alt-F11 to open the VBE, then in the project explorer you need to check each worksheet, ThisWorkbook, and any modules in the workbook for code. Since you don't know what the code does, you need to be very careful if you are planning on deleting it. I would suggest you work on a copy of the workbook.

To check for normal hidden worksheets, just select Format....Sheet....Unhide from the menu.

HTH
Cal

Upvote 0
And...
If you do decide to copy the sheets to a new workbook, that shouldn't have to be too painstaking. We can come up a macro (stored in the old book) that will do all that for you.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marion_davis

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back