Tip Pool Calculator

kala

Board Regular
Hello, I own a restaurant and would like to develop a tip pool calculator that distributes the tip amounts for all the employees who share in the tip pool. The factors that go into this are the total tip amount, number of hours worked, and a share assigned to each employee. The groups would look something like this:
Back of House (BOH) = 20%
Server = 20%
Lead Server = 25%
Caterer = 35%

Let's say in a given week, the employees worked 140 hours and earned $100 in tips amongst each of them. There groups/hours are shown below:
Employee A (Lead Server): 40
Employee B (Server): 0
Employee C (Server): 10
Employee D (Server): 15
Employee E (Lead Server): 30
Employee F (Server): 0
Employee G (Server): 0
Employee H (BOH): 40
Employee I (Caterer): 5
Employee J (Server): 0

It sounds like it should be easy, but I'm having the hardest time figuring out a formula that accounts for total tips, number of hours worked, and a percentage weight. Would someone provide some guidance? Once I have a strong formula, I think I can handle automating it so the tip allocation changes dependent on who's working... Thank you SO much!

Excel Facts

Copy formula down without changing references
If you have =SUM(F2:F49) in F50; type Alt+' in F51 to copy =SUM(F2:F49) to F51, leaving the formula in edit mode. Change SUM to COUNT.
formula you need is:

TipAmount * Department Share * (Employee Hours / Total Hours by Department)

example, for Employee A:

100 * 25% * (40/70)

Hello, I own a restaurant and would like to develop a tip pool calculator that distributes the tip amounts for all the employees who share in the tip pool. The factors that go into this are the total tip amount, number of hours worked, and a share assigned to each employee. The groups would look something like this:
Back of House (BOH) = 20%
Server = 20%
Lead Server = 25%
Caterer = 35%

Let's say in a given week, the employees worked 140 hours and earned $100 in tips amongst each of them. There groups/hours are shown below:
Employee A (Lead Server): 40
Employee B (Server): 0
Employee C (Server): 10
Employee D (Server): 15
Employee E (Lead Server): 30
Employee F (Server): 0
Employee G (Server): 0
Employee H (BOH): 40
Employee I (Caterer): 5
Employee J (Server): 0

It sounds like it should be easy, but I'm having the hardest time figuring out a formula that accounts for total tips, number of hours worked, and a percentage weight. Would someone provide some guidance? Once I have a strong formula, I think I can handle automating it so the tip allocation changes dependent on who's working... Thank you SO much!

Upvote 0
Jarjarbingie, that worked like a charm! Thank you for taking the time. I'm still working on automating it so there's a way to add/remove employees, input different values, etc. If anyone is interested, don't hesitate to reach out!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nonnakkong

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back