To all MVPs

Jack in the UK

Hi Guys [MVP’s]

Can I say and bring to light some disgraceful posts from MVPs, you all have seen them and the battles that go on around them, im not going to name names you all know who and when, Even Bill pops up and trys to calm things

Most of you I know and we all get on very well, well I happen to think so, and we do PM and email each other, and never have had issues with each other often helping a lot both ways. But its seem a feeling is brewing and I back that that this site is becoming MVP and US rules [Before I et shot by non US MVPs] guys I know you all don’t I? And you will remember I started shouting and PM Bill why no NON US MVP so I did the same with moderators, the Internet is worldwide and so I felt this was right.

Guy when di I fight for Jack? Never. I fight for all and defend the attacked or abused. You know I have been abused so many times, had hate campaigns and all the rest. Email saying m going to be killed and all sorts. Many of you have had the same RIGHT?

All my issues I had to solve myself, no one helped me, but I help others ?? Something wrong there or is there HELP is what its about.

So can I ask, why do we have what I consider in very few cases [I wont name] very weak and poor MVPs. Im getting ed up of PM and emails asking me why some posts are rude and to be frank rubbish.

I’m no very good with excel and I try I except my errors but I genuinely TRY to offer help and that help is free, what do I get from staying up all the hours I do?

I sick to death of being asked why im not MVP, it’s a real drag. I now answer post in this forumn, and to be honest I do not know if I want to ever be MVP if I was awarded I would have to think carefully, as it would reflect on me. I’m not sure.

I even know darn well the MVP forum has bundle’s on me over a long time and this is one issue that’s kicked around a bit and that’s that.; I get so much email of support for standing up and supporting guys its non a drag. My PM are there every day and Email is an effort to keep up with.

I also have support the Microsoft TechNet forumn, and I get email from there, I get no agro and the standards and nice and high, but traffic slow.

I even get Emails from some of you saying what im saying here – guys it’s a joke.

Some MVP we hardly see and have made few posts, so how’s that Most Valued Posted with 200 ??? 2000 yes I agree. Some moderators are missing and not seen for ages and carry MVP and very few posts.

Surly MVP is gained and has to be maintained, its not a prise? Or is it?

Whats happening guys why is the standards slipping – I post as ive had enough and even very close MVP attacking member is an outrage

Let me know what you thing guys – ive gone public

Hi Jack :)

I hope You didn´t expect to receive some answer on this subject :wink:

Personally I would say that most of the so called Mr Excel MVP's (never never compare them with the real appointed Microsoft MVPs!) should be treated just as frequently contributors - nothing more.

The only true MVP is the ones that have been appointed by Microsoft and Mr Excel is lucky to have some of them as regular contributors like Aladin and Tushar (and ocassionaly Mr Robert Umlas).

Skillnes and know-how is not reflected by the number of replies or that some of the more regular contributors are appointed as Mr Excel MVP's.

Some of them have good skillnes and knowhow in different areas of XL and some of them not.

This is one of two basics problem:
The appointment does not guarantee the quality of answers and the quality of behaviour.

However, as a group they set the standard here on Mr Excel Board.

Except for Juan and Aladin they are all situated in an english enviroment (US/NZ/Australien/UK) and that reflects partial the second basic problem, i e the lack of a broader international outlook of XL.

And since the non-US based Mr Excel MVP's don´t make any noise at all (!) the US-based guys rules, which of course is partial the second basic problem.

The US-based MVP´s totally lack of respect and understanding of how XL is used around the world and to people outside the english-talking world will prevent the Board to grow and develop in a positive way.

I don´t think You or anyone else have any impact at all how the Board is handled as long as these basic problem exist.

Either You accept the conditions as they are (i e You can win some battles but never the war) or You find the conditions unacceptable and just leave the Board.

My friendly advice to You is to find a new community that show You and other more respect for who You are and how You work with XL.

Your friend and cellmate
Dennis

Ps Just let me add, before Mr Excel's own Yoda, will reply that we all loves XL, that this is not the issue here Ds
This message was edited by XL-Dennis on 2002-11-14 20:08

Howdy y'all, hey we all love xl. :biggrin:

Ok, let's see a few friendly thoughts (I don't claim they have merit):

Bill why no NON US MVP so I did the same with moderators, the Internet is worldwide and so I felt this was right.

Actually, only 2/6 of the Excel Questions moderators reside in the US. And one of those (myself), is an immigrant to the US (bonjour!). So really 5/6 have some international flavor to them. Also, it wasn't designed with such in mind, it was more to have time zones covered by people who have an appreciation for the site. If you don't like the way I handle myself on the board, please let me know.

Whats happening guys why is the standards slipping

Hard to believe they have in general, seems like global participation has risen, seems like we get great input every day from a variety of sources.

The only true MVP is the ones that have been appointed by Microsoft and Mr Excel is lucky to have some of them as regular contributors like Aladin and Tushar (and ocassionaly Mr Robert Umlas).

It is great to have their contributions. And Chip Pearson's, Hans Herber's, and really, everyone elses, including yours. :wink: Still waiting for Monsieur Longre to join the fray. Might not have as much to do with luck, it's a pretty good, functional board.

The appointment does not guarantee the quality of answers and the quality of behaviour

No, it doesn't. It doesn't necessarily in the NewsGroups either... (And this isn't a rip on anyone, there are some very pointy posts there)

And since the non-US based Mr Excel MVP's don´t make any noise at all (!)

In my experience they speak freely, and I'm generally all ears.

The US-based MVP´s totally lack of respect and understanding of how XL is used around the world and to people outside the english-talking world will prevent the Board to grow and develop in a positive way.

Not sure about respect, maybe understanding. I helped a guy on the Ivory Coast the other day translate and work with a file written in Norweigan by Ole Anderson. I may not know all of the localized intracacies, but, I don't knock them.

Personally I would say that most of the so called Mr Excel MVP's (never never compare them with the real appointed Microsoft MVPs!) should be treated just as frequently contributors - nothing more.

As you please, call me Nate. I ask for no more. Just having fun hacking away, engaging the brain and helping others.

I appreciate the thoughts, sorry if I've upset y'all in any way, don't recall having done so...

Have a good one.

This message was edited by NateO on 2002-11-14 22:09

I honestly have never really noticed any problems with the whole different country/ies thing, but the way things are being thrown about, it seems as if this will just be lumped together with the fact that I'm from the US.

Dennis, simply so it's noted: the "problems" you mention are not all due to cultural differences. I feel safe in saying this not to cover myself, but just to mention it.

Basically, what I guess I'm trying to say is that it's not necessary to judge people simply by the location they have listed or if they mention in conversation. Please remember that everyone is their own person. :)

Hi it´s me again :)

Funny, Jack creates this thread and get no respons at all. Then I jump in and all of a sudden the thread start to live...

Von Pookie:
It seems as if this will just be lumped together with the fact that I'm from the US.

No, but the only way to create a debate is to target a group not individuals. In this case Mr Excel's US-MVP's. If I should target one person then everyone else will propably treat it as a discussion/problem/flame person-to-person.

It´s not a question of cultural difference it's a question about an attitude and the ability to put Yourself in a wider globally context and not in the nearest county.

It´s also a question about an insight that not every thread on the Board necessarily involves US-version of XL.

The issue also include to pay respect and a better understanding that we, outside the english-spoken area of the world, have our own issues to deal with when it comes to how to use XL and how to solve problems of that does not refer to the english-version of XL.

BTW, someone mention to me that it´s about 60 000 000 users of MS Office around the world.

Please remember that everyone is their own person.
Yes, I agree with You but as I try to explain above targeting one person is not a good way to create a discussion.

Nate:
Actually, only 2/6 of the Excel Questions moderators reside in the US

It´s correct but
- The moderators are not subject to the discussion.
- and if they are they are associated with US by the language.

No, it doesn't. It doesn't necessarily in the NewsGroups either...
Sounds like an excuse by referring to MS NewsGroup...

In my experience they speak freely, and I'm generally all ears.
With all respect to You, many of the Mr Excel MVP´s does not stand up in public only via PM and mail...

..and why does this kind of threads engage only a smal fractions of the Mr Excel MVP's or do You handle it in the MVP's forum?

No, I disagree on that. It´s looks to me that many of You Excel MVP´s watch Your back, lurking around and being neutral. In other words pay to much attention to politics then to the real issues.

Not sure about respect, maybe understanding....I don't knock them...
Good, I wish that more fellows to You should do that too. I still claim the lack of respect and understanding.

sorry if I've upset y'all in any way, don't recall having done so...

Why apologize at all??

Kind regards,
Dennis
This message was edited by XL-Dennis on 2002-11-15 05:52

Hi Dennis

Ladies first Von Pookie and NateO are friends of Jacks and i know they both know im a very close buddy to you - just as i am they - so I’m sure these guys from the US will / are friends of your too:

Both are really nice genuine people who i consider are fair and reasonable - sure we disagree on many issues on and off the board as we exchange but friends we are and at the end of the day WE respect each other at all times, and have fun and always help each other, to me that’s what its all about.

As you know i have many US friends just to day a US guy popped up after a long break [no names they like to pop in and out as they want to] but VERY close buddy’s we are and they sent me a wonderful PM today - guess what they said??

First was a very big sorry for disappearing and chatting what’s they have been up to and wished me well, still being around helping out, assurance was given they will always be about on / off , that’s standard.

But they commented on the fighting and remember they are US and suggested i continue to stand up for what i believe in and what i see as correct - compliments were given to my ability to assist others and much seems not to be in my personal gain, and thank me for my efforts, but did not comment if they agreed.

I have many US guys some MVP who contact me and show support to my trying to make this place nice and equal for all i can.

OK MVP Section???

YES MVP do discuss this in MVP section an off board, but that’s to be expected, and what its there for, and just for the record i know fully I’m featured in a few feeds from deciding why im not MVP and if i should be, to my attitude on the board, to what i can offer this board.

A lot of MVP support me at a very high level, but a few do not, YES i know who thinks what.

HOW?? Well the ones who don’t contact me and ones who do not reply to PM is a good sign, also those who step in and do not indicates, as late MOST support me. I will add I personally do not feel Bill Jelen see Jack as his best friend but sadly Jack does not agree, Jacks a buddy with anyone who wants Jack as a buddy, as complicated as that.

Also i feel some MVP and Bill do not like my defence against some MVP and feels i am not conducting myself correctly. I cant say more this is my feeling opinion, Bill has never said much, only when a MVP misread a post i made and i was requested to edit the post or he would have deleted it??? But read that post carefully all i really said was POLITE HELP!!! Sad really that my relations I feel with Bill are not exactly as I would like, but I have no effect on this, its up to Bill Jelen, his decision, not Jacks.

OK so I’m not MVP how do i know all this? I’ve been around a long time and guys i never ask a single thing but i do pick up on comments posted and comments made in the PM and emails, so its possible to know bits.

Also watch who’s posting in MVP if you fight with MVP they tend to run to MVP forums, so its a bit of a give away, and they Bill pops up

That’s how it works, they don’t fight their own battles, i understand this but a few will speak in public and these guy i back there comments as i do in the feed.

This is from my experience and what i see, and been involved in.

NO MVP copy’s posts and sends them to me else i would send it back, its non of my business, and has nothing to do with me so i have little interest really, but bits leak out - human nature i guess, but I do find it kind of funny I’m in there so much ??? LOL!!

I hope this has exposed a lot to you and any reader

OK its only fair i say what is in my forums, as I do get asked, just some very technical posts from me and errors so others can add if they know.

We have 4 members only - i have requested to Bill a few more could join these guess know who they are, i wont name and on request to Bill i was asked for there userid, kind odd ???

Why???

They are US guys and MVPs?????

As i say i this was wile back and highlights i do not have issues with the US or US MVPs but there are a few issues as have been made public.

Hope that gives some in site to the board, its honest and from the heart - i have tried all i can to help involving others as well, and i will continue to fights for others and ALL

Your cellmate

JITUK

I know that You Jack would like to help all people and trying to have a friendly relation with everyone on the board which I respect You for.

However, wether Von Pookie, NateO or me are friends to You or not is not the issue here.

We can have different opinions but still be friends - that´s what real friendship is, at least for me.

The point and the issue from my side is the lack of respect and understanding from the MVP´s here on the board for international issues related to XL.

BTW, "thanks" for all the mail I got from people who´s telling me that I'm a
- SOB
- Deadbrain
- Should be hanged
- bla bla bla

It´s the Poets day - **** Of Early tomorrow Saturday...

All

Dennis said
We can have different opinions but still be friends - that´s what real friendship is, at least for me.

Thats Jacks whole point!!!

RESPECT!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
81jamesacct

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back