To Chris, et al: phpBB version

Gates Is Antichrist

I'm not an expert on the relevant issues so forgive me if I'm speaking out of turn, but

Can upgrade this version? Would it help to start a contribution fund for that purpose?

Particulary vexing is the lack of preview.

Also (and I don't know if this is covered in any upgrade), the ability to sort MY threads by REPLY date, rather than ORIGINAL date, would save me enormous time in checking for new activity on only threads I am in. Tek-Tips handles this properly, for example.

P.S. Anticipating your possible response: I need to know you guys just a _little_ bit better before I use email notification (which I assume works in the main forum), which is a solution to the second issue. It's just that at over 200 spams per day, I've become *quite* nasty about revealing it - even to my coworkers and all but the MOST trustworthy (and careful) friends. Spam and management of it not only costs me and society valuable time, but causes me to refrain from giving my address to "good" people who ought to have it, like here. What a tragedy, that so much of the dream of global communication and interaction is shattered because of spam (at least for me). /RANT MODE OFF/

I've been registered on this board for a little under a year now and in that time have received only 2 spam emails. Of course, I don't know how much of that is attributable to filtering on our corporate server.

I agree about sorting posts by reply date. I, too, will sometimes check an old post to find that someone has tried to help me, or asked for more info, but because it was buried on page 10 of my posts, I miss it and it seems like I'm being rude.

Also, in defense of the board, in about six months, I've only received 1 peice of spam from this board, though my hotmail account, full of filters, gets about 50 a day.

Corticus

On 2002-09-13 02:19, Gates Is Antichrist wrote:
...Can upgrade this version? Would it help to start a contribution fund for that purpose?

Particulary vexing is the lack of preview.

Also (and I don't know if this is covered in any upgrade), the ability to sort MY threads by REPLY date, rather than ORIGINAL date, would save me enormous time in checking for new activity on only threads I am in. Tek-Tips handles this properly, for example.

Well, phpBB is open-source, so cost shouldn't be an issue for the board (www.phpbb.com). The cost of hosting/speed, etc., is an issue. One that we don't know all that much about.

Essentially, any major change is up to Bill. And that would depend on whether he has the time/motivation to do so. I would say take it up with him. Though I do have to admit, I've seen some later versions that seem to have a bit more...workability (is that the word I'm looking for here?).

...I need to know you guys just a _little_ bit better before I use email notification (which I assume works in the main forum), which is a solution to the second issue. It's just that at over 200 spams per day, I've become *quite* nasty about revealing it...

The email notification works on any post you start, on every forum available on this board. Whether or not you have your email address visible in your profile doesn't matter.

The people replying to your posts will never see your email address, or even know if you have marked the "email notification" box on your posts. They have no control over it, as it's all automatic.

Hope it helps,

_________________<font color="#3399FF" size="3">Kristy</font>
stupid.gif

This message was edited by Von Pookie on 2003-01-15 16:25

Thank you for your kind response. I only saw it today ... Yet Another victim of the lame sorting of threads-by-user.

-----
Off topic, as to my original "rant":
at this point I'll take the extraordinary step of de-fictionalizing my profile email, since Bill and his crew have gained my respect and trust by this time. I only hope that my address goes no further. At least I'll be able to participate better with Mr. Excel's forum.

I mean it. My life on this planet is unquestionably diminished by spam - far more than in the time dispatching it. I welcome anyone with such knowledge to share with me the home address of any spammer. And his/her blood type, allergies, exposure to diseases, history of prior disembowelments ... am I leaving anything out?

Gates

Ill swoop you spam for my abusive emails if you like, im board of them by now, being told kill yourself gets a tad boring after two years.

Funny i seems to know where they come from no, ho hum, let me know.

The 101 ways to kill and poison Jack was a particular favorite of mine, i must post it next time i receive it. The use of who to post in 1001 different languages that are literate was very special to me!!!

As was how to post and not get misunderstood!!!

Let me know.

I had quite good results on filtering out E-Mail spam through using Mailwasher- a freeware program. The program allows you to preview E-Mail before you open up Outlook and delete and 'bounce' E-Mails back to their sender as if your address is no longer valid.

Eventually (around 5 days to a week), the tossers who send the junk will remove you from their database as, as far as they're concerned, you no longer exist at that address. From around a dozen or so a day, I now only get 2-3 a week.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
grijken

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back