To CSE or not to CSE -- that is the question! :)

dmacdougall

OK, I'm confused. For some formulas that contain arrays, I have to use Control-Shift-Enter to force Excel to add the approprate brackets, so that the formula is calculated -- failure to do so results in "#Value!" being returned.

However, I have other formulas, which also contain arrays, which calculate just fine without entering Control-Shift-Enter.

So, is there some sort of rule or guide regarding when formulas must be entered in the Control-Shift-Enter method?

Help! :)

Excel Facts

Round to nearest half hour?
Use =MROUND(A2,"0:30") to round to nearest half hour. Use =CEILING(A2,"0:30") to round to next half hour.
Thank you Russ, but I've already reviewed that article.

Please don't tell me I've stumped the board on my second posting! That's just sad... Oh, well -- time to move on. Does that mean I'm Mr Excel now? :) dm

Upvote 0
dmacdougall said:
OK, I'm confused. For some formulas that contain arrays, I have to use Control-Shift-Enter to force Excel to add the approprate brackets, so that the formula is calculated -- failure to do so results in "#Value!" being returned.

However, I have other formulas, which also contain arrays, which calculate just fine without entering Control-Shift-Enter.

So, is there some sort of rule or guide regarding when formulas must be entered in the Control-Shift-Enter method?

Help! :)

This is a favorite issue. Google or even a hard search thru this board might turn up interesting points. Here is a recent and pointed take up by Harlan Grove:

http://tinyurl.com/8kbrf

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Arle8907

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back