To fuzzy or not to fuzzy? Thats my question...

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeMikeMike

Ok so I started a four page thread not realizing what it was going to turn into...I am glad it did as I am now more educated because of it. However I still did not really get my question answered or the formula I need so I decided to repost and ask simply if what I am doing is possible without having to get fuzzy with it. :)

First the thread I started that has all kinds of solutions...none of which work for me:

http://www.mrexcel.com/forum/showthread.php?t=529356

The closest I got to what I am looking for is this:

=LOOKUP(2,1/SEARCH(Sheet2!$A$2:$A$4,A2),Sheet2!$B$2:$B$4) (----And the one used against my below example data----)

However when adding a new row (and making the needed adjustments to the formula to take into account the new row) ...it overwrites the previous row if both terms or contained in a*.

So for example:

Sheet 1 (Where the formula exists)
<table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="344"><col style="width: 181pt;" width="241"> <col style="width: 77pt;" width="103"> <tbody><tr style="height: 15pt;" height="20"> <td class="xl65" style="height: 15pt; width: 181pt;" height="20" width="241">Keyword</td> <td class="xl65" style="width: 77pt;" width="103">Cat</td> </tr> <tr style="height: 15pt;" height="20"> <td style="height: 15pt;" height="20">telecom</td> <td>Telecom</td> </tr> <tr style="height: 15pt;" height="20"> <td style="height: 15pt;" height="20">tele com</td> <td align="center">#N/A</td> </tr> <tr style="height: 15pt;" height="20"> <td style="height: 15pt;" height="20">telecomm</td> <td>Telecom</td> </tr> <tr style="height: 15pt;" height="20"> <td style="height: 15pt;" height="20">telecommunication</td> <td>Telecom</td> </tr> <tr style="height: 15pt;" height="20"> <td style="height: 15pt;" height="20">telecomunication</td> <td>Telecom</td> </tr> <tr style="height: 15pt;" height="20"> <td style="height: 15pt;" height="20">telecommunications</td> <td>Telecom</td> </tr> <tr style="height: 15pt;" height="20"> <td style="height: 15pt;" height="20">telecommunication jobs</td> <td>Telecom</td> </tr> <tr style="height: 15pt;" height="20"> <td style="height: 15pt;" height="20">telecom mobile</td> <td>Telecom</td> </tr> <tr style="height: 15pt;" height="20"> <td style="height: 15pt;" height="20">telecom jobs</td> <td>Telecom</td> </tr> <tr style="height: 15pt;" height="20"> <td style="height: 15pt;" height="20">telecom voip
</td> <td align="center">Telecom
</td> </tr> <tr style="height: 15pt;" height="20"> <td style="height: 15pt;" height="20">british telecom</td> <td>Telecom</td> </tr> <tr style="height: 15pt;" height="20"> <td style="height: 15pt;" height="20">
</td> <td>
</td> </tr> <tr style="height: 15pt;" height="20"> <td style="height: 15pt;" height="20">Notice how Telecom is overwriting the other categories...which makes sense but makes this formula useless for this purpose.
</td> <td>
</td> </tr> <tr style="height: 15pt;" height="20"> <td style="height: 15pt;" height="20">
</td><td>
</td></tr></tbody></table>Sheet 2

<table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="195"><col style="width: 98pt;" width="131"> <col style="width: 48pt;" width="64"> <tbody><tr style="height: 15pt;" height="20"> <td class="xl63" style="height: 15pt; width: 98pt;" height="20" width="131">Phrase</td> <td class="xl63" style="width: 48pt;" width="64">Category</td> </tr> <tr style="height: 15pt;" height="20"> <td style="height: 15pt;" height="20">carreers</td> <td>Jobs</td> </tr> <tr style="height: 15pt;" height="20"> <td style="height: 15pt;" height="20">job</td> <td>Jobs</td> </tr> <tr style="height: 15pt;" height="20"> <td style="height: 15pt;" height="20">voip</td> <td>VOIP</td> </tr> <tr style="height: 15pt;" height="20"> <td style="height: 15pt;" height="20">telep</td> <td>Equipment</td> </tr> <tr style="height: 15pt;" height="20"> <td style="height: 15pt;" height="20">telecom</td> <td>Telecom</td> </tr> </tbody></table>

So finally (thank you for anyone that has read this far) my questions:

1. How can I work precedence into the picture?

2. Can this be done with a match + contains + precedence in some way?

3. Is a fuzzylookup or fuzzymatch my ONLY answer? (Which one?)

4. And last but not least - if getting fuzzy is the only answer then can one of you masters help bring me up to speed? (I am aware of this link:
http://www.mrexcel.com/forum/showthread.php?t=195635 and was told in my post to "try figuring it out" which I will indeed figure it out but with time pressing down on me I am hoping that I can at least get clear direction as to what I should focus on as the post that I started yesterday ended up out of hand and as a result didn't get me to where I need to be....closer but not there yet.)

1000 Thank You's to All of you!

-Mike

Last edited:

Excel Facts

Waterfall charts in Excel?
Office 365 customers have access to Waterfall charts since late 2016. They were added to Excel 2019.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nzskater

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back