To look the most close value in a list o matrix of excel

adelagza

Hi, I have become obssesed to finish a little program to find the optimum ECT (Edge Crush Test) to get the best BCT (Box Compression Test), and I am stuck with this part I have enclosed an small archive in order to explain more clearly my problem. I get in a cell a number that might be close or near a set of numbers as you can see in the archive, what I want is once I have that number to pick from the table the appropiate and closest number in it, according to the program I am trying to put togheter this number which is obtained from it always wilkl be within a close range of the table shown staring with 23 and ending in 82, could anyone of you tell me how can I obtain a proper result, I trit with the functions INDEX, MATCH, MIN. ABS, COLUMNS with no success, always getting errors which I have not been able to decipher! I want to thank you in advance for your help on this proyect - AGUSTIN DE LA GARZA

COLOR ECT 19 = SEARCHED VALUE
CORR. SENCILLO 23
CORR. SENCILLO 26 ?? = THE MORE CLOSEST VALUE
CORR. SENCILLO 29
CORR. SENCILLO 32
CORR. SENCILLO 40
CORR. SENCILLO 44
CORR. SENCILLO 55
CORR. DOBLE 42
CORR. DOBLE 48
CORR. DOBLE 51
CORR. DOBLE 61
CORR. DOBLE 71
CORR. DOBLE 82

NOTE:- The SEARCHED VALUE can be any value but close to those of the matrix, but not equal to any of them, what I want is
that the result be the closest number in the matrix to the SEARCHED VALUE and to be placed in the cell which is called
THE MORE CLOSEST VALUE.

P.S. In the ilustrated case I imagine that THE MOST CLOSEST VALUE would be "23" let say that the SEARCHED VALUE would be
"28" then the answer would be "29" from the matrix which is the closest value to that number, actually That is what I want
that the formula might do!!!

Excel Facts

Square and cube roots
The =SQRT(25) is a square root. For a cube root, use =125^(1/3). For a fourth root, use =625^(1/4).

Book1
ABCDEF
1itemvalueCOLOR ECTCLOSEST
2CORR. SENCILLO231923
3CORR. SENCILLO262829
4CORR. SENCILLO29
5CORR. SENCILLO32
6CORR. SENCILLO40
7CORR. SENCILLO44
8CORR. SENCILLO55
9CORR. DOBLE42
10CORR. DOBLE48
11CORR. DOBLE51
12CORR. DOBLE61
13CORR. DOBLE71
14CORR. DOBLE82
Sheet1

In F2 control+shift+enter. not just enter, and copy down:

=INDEX($B$2:$B$14,MATCH(MIN(ABS($B$2:$B$14-E2)),ABS($B$2:$B$14-E2),0))

Upvote 0
Aladin:
Thanks for your answer to my question, I did exactly all the steps as you did in your example, just changing the cells positions as they are in my program, and the answer I get is "#N/A" I have revised it through the fX and it goes tru very well but as soon as I accept it it appears the same "#N/A" Am I doing something wrong? I must tell you that the looked number that is the one you place on your E column it comes from other sheet through the used term "=sheet2!A1" could that be the culprit? I want to thank you
for your prompt reply, but I am still in the same place even when I see that your solution works and it should do the same on my program!!! - Thanks for your anticipated reply.

Upvote 0
You need to apply control+shift+enter for the formula to work.

Control+shift+enter: Press down the control and the shift keys at the same time while you hit the enter key. When done successfully, Excel itself puts a pair of { and } around the formula in recognition.

Upvote 0
Aladin: I just wanted to thank you on the answer to my problem, it worked flowessly! Thanks
P.S. I just ask to learn as much as some of you guys know about Excel, I started a little late I am 86 now, but I do not loose confidence that I will learn enough to go through any problem by myself.

Upvote 0
Aladin: I just wanted to thank you on the answer to my problem, it worked flowessly! Thanks

You are welcome. Thanks for the feedback.

P.S. I just ask to learn as much as some of you guys know about Excel, I started a little late I am 86 now, but I do not loose confidence that I will learn enough to go through any problem by myself.

:cool:

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlosWin

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back