=today() returns date of 00/01/1900

KezD

Hi everyone

I'm using Excel 2003.

I have a spreadsheet which contains an =today() function. When I view the spreadsheet it correctly displays today's date and updates each day as you'd expect. When my colleague opens the same spreadsheet on her machine, the today's date function is not updating. If using her machine I type =today() in a separate cell of that same spreadsheet just to see what it will do, it returns the date 00/01/1900!

If I create a brand new workbook on her machine and then type =today() in cell A1, it returns 00/01/1900!!

The date and time properties on her computer are correct. In Excel the Tools->Options->Calculation is set to Automatic. Pressing F9 doesn't resolve this issue.

Help please!! :confused:
Thanks.

Excel Facts

Create a chart in one keystroke
Select the data and press Alt+F1 to insert a default chart. You can change the default chart to any chart type
Re: =today() returns date of 00/01/1900...CMOS

those are PC right?
what does the clock on your colleague's machine indicates?
sounds like a CMOS setup related problem, but i might be wrong.
CMOS require a small battery such as a CR2032.

If you can check on another machine then it means the problem is localized on one machine.

Upvote 0
Hi everyone

I'm using Excel 2003.

I have a spreadsheet which contains an =today() function. When I view the spreadsheet it correctly displays today's date and updates each day as you'd expect. When my colleague opens the same spreadsheet on her machine, the today's date function is not updating. If using her machine I type =today() in a separate cell of that same spreadsheet just to see what it will do, it returns the date 00/01/1900!

If I create a brand new workbook on her machine and then type =today() in cell A1, it returns 00/01/1900!!

The date and time properties on her computer are correct. In Excel the Tools->Options->Calculation is set to Automatic. Pressing F9 doesn't resolve this issue.

Help please!! :confused:
Thanks.

KezD, if my theory is correct, go to this link...

http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000239.htm

Upvote 0
Hmmm, you could also try
Code:
Tools > Options > Transition
untick the boxes for "transition formula evaluation" and "transition formula entry".
Re-enter the date

Upvote 0
deleted...duplicate post

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hi cyrilbrd - these are PCs, yes. I don't think it's the CMOS but thanks for the suggestion. Much appreciated!

Upvote 0
Hmmm, you could also try
Code:
Tools > Options > Transition
untick the boxes for "transition formula evaluation" and "transition formula entry".
Re-enter the date
Hi Michael M - thanks for your suggestion. Those two checkboxes in Tools -> Options -> Transition are already unchecked though, so I guess it's not that!

Upvote 0
When you enter =today() does it change to upper case? If not check that there isn't an Add-In installed that contains a function with that name.

Upvote 0
If this is a one off occurrence ??
Maybe the old reboot, restart excel method may be the option

Upvote 0
When you enter =today() does it change to upper case? If not check that there isn't an Add-In installed that contains a function with that name.
Hi Andrew - yes, entering =today() does then change to uppercase when viewed in the formula bar. Great suggestion about Add-Ins however there's nothing checked in that list, so I don't think it's that.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hanakoro

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back