Toggle Button BMP picture is anti-aliased into oblivion

bbrother

Hello Forum,
I've come here very often to get answers to my frequent questions, but I rarely post to ask one of my own, but I am really stumped!

I have a userform in which I have a multitude of buttons that looks almost like a small piano keyboard and the information I need to label the button forces me to put the text in sideways. However, sideways text is not allowed in a userform toggle button, and I am too new to be successful with creating my own class I think. (I like ForTran and still struggle with OO code)

To get around the sidways text limitation, I use a BMP file as a picture in the toggle button property on the form designer. This looks GREAT on my computer, but on other computers the BMP file looks like it looses resolution or color depth which causes the buttons to become nearly unreadable.

I believe that I've already scaled the BMP file properly, and it looks OK in MS Paint, but it looks like Excel is taking liberties and either improperly antialiasing my image, or it is rescaling the image slightly - but only on other peoples computer. (It is very frustrating to fix a bug that can't be replicated locally. grrrr.)

Does someone know how to prevent Excel from rescaling a picture on a togglebutton, or perhaps know exactly what size a BMP needs to be relative to its toggle button NOT to be rescaled? (Or does someone know how to put sidewise TT font in a toggle button?)

Thank you for your time!!

Last edited:

Excel Facts

How to create a cell-sized chart?
Tiny charts, called Sparklines, were added to Excel 2010. Look for Sparklines on the Insert tab.
I SOLVED IT, and it is embarassing...

In windows, I used screen resolution / 'make text and other items larger or smaller' to make everything larger. (This was my last gasp before breaking down and getting reading glasses...)

I did this a year ago and forgot that I had this setting. In MS Paint my images were perfect, and when I designed my userform windows had everything scaled up 125%. When any other user (younger than 50) accessed my userform, it was rescaled back to 100% which caused the text in the image to become unreadable.

The solution was to make sure that 'make text and images larger or smaller' was set to 100% and redesign the userform with larger buttons to fit the bitmap images that I placed in the buttons.

So, this wasn't a technical VBA issue, but it was causing serious userform design issues. Hopefully it's worthy of a Mr. Excel post!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apwr

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back