Too many cell formats

scotthannaford1973

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 2010
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi

I have a huge spreadsheet that has evolved over a while and which also included worksheets copied in from other workbooks. As a result, we keep getting the "Too Many Different Cell Formats" message meaning we are unable to apply any additional, new formats to cells without formatting.

I have downloaded XLCleanerDotNET4.0 which will remove ALL formatting, but as that would mean about a day's work to apply the formatting we do want to keep, I am loathe to use it (but will if needed).

Is there any way to remove any unused cell formatting / style which doesn't affect the formats/styles that I am using?

cheers!

Excel Facts

Select a hidden cell
Somehide hide payroll data in column G? Press F5. Type G1. Enter. Look in formula bar while you arrow down through G.
I have run up against that before. Most of the problems arise from trying to format entire rows and entire columns when you only have a few hundreds rows and maybe a hundred columns.

First try this:
Delete all your unused rows below your data set. Delete all your unused columns to the right of the data. Save the workbook and reopen it. You may have to do that on multiple sheets.

Jeff

Upvote 0
Check if you have a ton of conditional formatting. After setting Conditional Formats, moving data around can create copies that are affecting smaller ranges. Highlight your entire data set and go into Conditional Formatting rules management to check how many rules you have.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KH Consulting

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back