Too many rows/columns w/ multiple data fields (pivot table)

ldenning

I am using MS Excel 2003. I would like to have 2 data rows in my pivot table. However, I get the following error when adding the 2nd field as my data row:

"Microsoft Excel cannot make this change because there are too many row or column headings. Drag atleast one row or column heading off the pivot table report, or to the page position. Alternatively, right-click a field, and then click Hide or Hide levels on the shortcut menu."

On my pivot table, I have 14 fields making up my rows of data (with 2 of them hidden), and only 1 field making up my column of data. Something like this:

r1 (r2 hidden) r3 r4 r5 r6 r7 r8 r9 r10 r11 r12 (r13 hidden) r14 column
............................................................................................data 1
............................................................................................data 2

My source data is in a separate worksheet within my excel file. I have 110 columns in my raw data sheet, and less than 200 rows. None of the fields are exceptionally long or contain strange characters.

If I create a raw data sheet manually (for example, with dummy data to post on this board) with the same number of rows/columns, I do not get the above error. However, my actual pivot table and raw data file are coming from a .csv file that is automatically generated by a Progress program. I did not get this error until recently, when the last few columns were added to the raw data sheet.

Is there an issue with creating a pivot from a .csv file? Why are the number of columns limited? I am opening the .csv file in excel and saving it as an .xls file before creating my pivot table.

I realize that I can take one of the data fields and move it as another row field. However, I then lose the ability to have a grand total on it like the data column allows.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated, as I'm pulling my hair out on this one!!!
Thank you!

Excel Facts

Show numbers in thousands?
Use a custom number format of #,##0,K. Each comma after the final 0 will divide the displayed number by another thousand

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
davidcom

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back