Toolbar/Options/Calculation

dpeattie

Hi again, folks...

Okay. As I continue to explore the many fun things Excel can do, once again I've run into something I can't figure out alone.

On the Tools drop-down menu, there's a selection called Options. When I click on this, it brings up a dialog box with eight or so different tabs on it. The second of these tabs is marked Calculations.

When I open this tab, it gives me a choice of either having automatic calculations or manual calculations. I tried entering in some numbers in a range of cells and getting it to calculate the sum, but it didn't seem to do anything.

So essentially, my question is, what do I need to do to make this work? Is the fact that it's automatically set for automatic calculation telling me that once I enter a formula, it will automatically do the calculating without my having to even go to this option? Or am I missing a step somewhere?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give!

David

Excel Facts

Copy formula down without changing references
If you have =SUM(F2:F49) in F50; type Alt+' in F51 to copy =SUM(F2:F49) to F51, leaving the formula in edit mode. Change SUM to COUNT.
try pressing the F9 key or the ctrl+alt+F9 keys, and see if this causes your cell to calculate.

what exactly are you typing into your cell for a formula? also, are there any macros in this spreadsheet that may have disabled calculation?

kevin

Upvote 0
Hi,

If in C1 you have =A1+B1 then with every change of A1 or B1, C1 will be changed automatically.

But if you choose "manual calculation" it will not be updated untill you click F9.

Eli

Upvote 0
Auto calculate is not a formula to calculate, it is a mode. Auto calculate means that, when you have a formula, say a sum of A1:a5, whenever you change any number in those cells, the formula will recalculate the sum. Manual calculate will not, you have to press F9 (I think) for the cell with the formula in it to re-calculate. Purpose of this was originally, way back on old, slow computers, to save the time it took to recalculate every time one changed an entry.

Upvote 0
Is it possible that the cell containing your formula is formatted as Text? This will display of the formula itself rather than the expected results.

Otherwise, the intial entry of a formula will always result in its calculation... regardless of the calculation mode.
This message was edited by Mark W. on 2002-10-15 16:00

Upvote 0
But only the first time the formula is entered. After that first time, then it will only calculate when you press F9 if Manual Calculation is used.

Upvote 0
So, when I wondered whether the Automatic mode was going to automatically do the calculation, I was on the right track. Ok. Got it. Thanks, everyone!

David

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mariah3

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back