Top of the league

Charlie_Chalk

Board Regular
Hi

I am trying to create spreadsheet that orders a list even when the items on the list change value (its a league table).

Is this possible in Excel?

Any help would be gratefully recieved!

Chaz

okie dokie....

let's assume the following :

John 10
Paul 11
George 15
Ringo 11

we have two "eleven"s

if we apply our RANK formula to them all, we will get 4,2,1,2 where Paul and Ringo have tied for 2nd place

yep ?

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Wildcard in VLOOKUP
Use =VLOOKUP("Apple*" to find apple, Apple, or applesauce
If you have time to go through the Ties that'd be great, otherwise you've been a fantastic help, thanks again.

Chaz

Upvote 0
I keep getting disconnected half way through my next reply....

I'm doing a VAT presentation tommorrow 3pm till 4pm, but feel free to give me a shout 0207 887 8014, it's often easier to explain it while it's on screen....

meanwhile, I'll carry on :

more to follow

Upvote 0
On 2002-09-16 11:54, Charlie_Chalk wrote:
Hi

I am trying to create spreadsheet that orders a list even when the items on the list change value (its a league table).

Is this possible in Excel?

Any help would be gratefully recieved!

Chaz
Hi,
I have made an excel-program with one sheet for a league team with automatique ranking.If you want, I can send it to you.
Let me know your e-mail adres.

Upvote 0
yeah, I was doing !

Okay, so we have two ties, both on 11 points

if there's no other way of seperating them, we can use the COUNTIF function to seperate them.

COUNTIF syntax goes like : =COUNTIF(range, item)

so countif(B1:B10,"hello") : this will count all "hello"s in range B1 to B10

or countif(B1:B10,B1) : this will count the occurances of whatever is in cell B1 in the range B1 to B10

so what we do in this case (in our John, Paul, George and Ringo data) is to make our range only one line deep next to our John entry :

=countif($B$1:B1,B1)

this is asking : how many times does the value in B1 occur, in the range B1 to B1

the answer is obviously, once.

NOw, notice, we have anchored the first part of the range, but not the second part. This means that as we drag the formula down, the second part of the range will increase to the next row.

next row becomes :

=COUNTIF($B$1:B2,B2)

asking, how many times does the value in B2 occur in the range B1 to B2

*more grolsche*

at this point, lets assume that both the values in B1 and B2 were the same....(eleven)

in the first formula, we got an obvious answer of 1....

in our second formula, we got an answer of 2 as it occured twice....

if we copied it down again and there was a third eleven, we would get 3 returned as it's counting the values of "11" on an ever-increasing range

this will carry on ad finitum for any amount of duplicates..... if there's 29 of them, they will return values from 1 all the way through to 29 as each range it is looking in will get one row deeper....

so bearing in mind, they all already have a rank of 2 (being 2nd highest points), they now all also have a count that goes up by 1 each time......

so with 5 second place guys, they now each also have a count : 1 to 5, which we can ADD to that 2nd place ranking....

going back to our Beatles...

we have 2 second place guys, which will attract a count of 1 and 2 respectively..... if we ADD that count to their rank, you will see it will be more than the next rank (ie Ringo's 2 will have 2 added, which is 4.... this is no good as John is already 4.....) so, we get round this by just deducting 1 from the count....

=countif($B$1:B1,B1)-1 etc etc etc

then we add this result to the rank to get a true ranking, eliminating duplicates

=RANK(B1,$B$1:$B$4)+(COUNTIF($B$1:B1,B1)-1)

in John's case this becomes : 4 + (1-1)..... =..... 4 + 0...... =...... 4

in Paul's case it's : 2 + (1 - 1)....... = .....2 + 0..... = .....2

In George's case it's : 1 + (1-1)....... = ...... 1 + 0..... = .......1

In Ringo's case it's : 2 + (2-1)....... = .......2 + 1....... = ........3

Upvote 0
Your a star.

Thanks for not only asnwering my question, but giving me a lesson in Excel as well.

Also thanks for the offer of a phone call (not sure giving your number out over the forum is all that good an idea though).

You may find me back here sometime in the future with anther problem!

Thanks again

Chaz

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tanurai

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back