Total noob - how to modify the look/type of commandbutton (excel2011, Mac)

lmheim

Hi. Please bear with me on this as I am not a power user and this is my first macro. I have looked in tutorials, the Dummies book and tried to search here on the forum before posting and didn't find guidance.

Someone recently wrote a macro for me that is initiated by clicking on a button and I would like to change the button. Right now it is a Button with text inside. I would like it to be a Radio Button or Check box. There are not multiple selections just a single button either clicked or not. When it is clicked, it runs the event.

These buttons are located in a specific cell in the spreadsheet and not in a popup window or user form (did I use that term correctly?)

I can locate and edit the macro code, but I can't find where/how to edit the button type/image. Can someone offer guidance or direct me to a tutorial/other info to help? Thank you for your patience and assistance.

Excel Facts

What is the shortcut key for Format Selection?
Ctrl+1 (the number one) will open the Format dialog for whatever is selected.
Hi and Welcome to the Board,

I don't use a Mac, but since you haven't had any replies I'll try to help. :)

Excel for Mac uses only Form Controls (not ActiveX Controls which are available in Windows).
To edit Form Controls in Windows, you Right-Click on the Control, then pick Format Control. (I presume there's something similar for Mac).

The color pallets and other properties that you can customize for Form Controls is relatively limited.
As an alternative, you might consider placing a Shape Object in the worksheet and assigning a macro to it.
There are more options avialable for customizing the appearance of Shapes than Form Control Buttons.

To select a different type of Control, go to the Developer tab of the Ribbon (Preferences > Ribbon)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thank you for your reply. It did help. What I also found out is that - at least in the Mac environment - setting up the macro is a 2-step process. First is choosing the button type/style, then second is assigning the actual macro code to that particular button. Once I realized that, i was able to pick a new button style right off the Developer tab.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
staticfluids

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back