Totally random MS Access error when trying to load the FE

baadams

Board Regular
This all happened after a recent update to Office 2019.

We have a loaddb.accde file that loads the front end database to the users machine and launches it from there. When we updated to Office 2019 users couldn't open the .accde file because it was created on a 32 bit machine. So I re-created it and sure enough after that no user with a 32 bit machine could open it. So we decided to just make it a .accdb file. Problem solved. Well sort of.

If the user has a new install it doesn't trust the database. Once they get the prompt to trust the database is where the error occurs. If they don't select "Yes" within a few seconds the database goes into a loop just loading the form over and over until you can finally hit "Yes" to trust the database. After you have done that once everything works fine. So it's very hard to test the issue, because we have to find another machine each time. We don't seem to have this issue if they're using the old accde file. Not sure why they would act differently considering the code is identical.

Does anyone know why it would go into a loop? All the accdb file does is open a form to let them know the database is being copied to their computer with an on timer event of 1000. Once the event is triggered it then copies the FE to their computer opens the FE and closes loaddb.accdb. This file has worked for 10+ years, now all of a sudden it's giving us an issue.

In the event of an error, it never copies the front end to the local directory, just keeps re-opening a new loaddb.accdb file until you can finally click "Yes" to trust the database.

My only solution right now is to wait until everyone has been upgraded (who knows when that would happen) compile the accdb file on a 64 bit machine and distribute a 64 bit version of loaddb.accde

Thanks!

Excel Facts

Convert text numbers to real numbers
Select a column containing text numbers. Press Alt+D E F to quickly convert text to numbers. Faster than "Convert to Number"
I'd say your answer to the loop is the timer value of one second, which was likely not an issue before the upgrades. Seems like you have multiple issues, all which probably could be solved if IT installed 32 bit Office but I bet that's a no-go even though there is little benefit in 64 bit. In fact, there are things that will run in 32 but not 64 - unfortunately I cannot remember what those are (maybe API calls). This link might help but not Trusted Location issues.

Upvote 0
can you have every user open access, then go to file / options / trust center / trust center settings /

check the box that says "Allow trusted locations on my network (not recommended)"

then "Add New Location"
and add the network drive

if its not on the network maybe you don't even have to check the box
just add the C drive to the new Location

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Faxgirl

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back