Totals in Stacked Column Chart

quiason

Here at work, I was asked to take data and make it look like a printed example (it was of a Stacked Column chart). I was able to do just that, except that I do not know how to get toals which look as though they were placed above the columns in the chart.

I assume someone manually entered textboxes above the columns - or that could be just because I believe I've right-clicked on every single element and still have not found a menu that shows me what I'm looking for.

Any ideas? This chart has been widely circulated at work and once something gets press - it's expected that everything look like that. I hate that by the way.

Excel Facts

Why are there 1,048,576 rows in Excel?
The Excel team increased the size of the grid in 2007. There are 2^20 rows and 2^14 columns for a total of 17 billion cells.
Which version of Excel? Is it possible that your version is not the same as the version that created the chart?

I ask that because most of my 'hits' on "Excel stacked column" return links that refer to Excel 2000.

Upvote 0
Convert your original data (black) to that shown in<font color=blue>blue</font> below...
Book1
ABCDEFGHIJKL
1ABCABC
Sheet3

Then...

1. Right-click on the 3rd (tallest) chart series, and choose Format Data Series... from the popup menu.
2. Set "Overlap" to 100 on the "Options" tab...
3. On the "Series Order" tab Move Up series C to the top of the series list, and Move Down A to the bottom of the list.
4. On the "Data Labels" tab choose "Show value", and press [ OK ] to complete the series formatting.
5. Finally, right-click on the data labels and choose Format Data Labels... from the popup menu.
6. On the "Alignment" tab set the "Label Position" to "Outside End".

...there you have it!!!
This message was edited by Mark W. on 2002-09-14 10:56

Upvote 0
thank you for your reply gentlemen.

steve - i'm using excel 2000.

mark, i applied your suggestion but i don't think we're on the same page.

i ended up with five columns divided into thirds - 'a', stacked on top of the sum of 'a' and 'b', which was stacked on top of the sum of 'a' 'b' and 'c'. it took me a while to figure out what was in front of me. i found out that it is repetitive data. i wouldn't need 'a', nor 'a' and 'b', if i had all the data in 'c'.

if this is my data:

male female
1999 5 7
2000 4 9

i want to see two columns divided into halves. 2000 stacked above 1999. values showing (which i can actually do). the hard part is getting the sum of 1999 and 2000 placed immediately above the column.

i hope this is clearer. thanks for looking into this for me.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shantanu2024

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back