Office Version
  1. 365
  2. 2019
  3. 2016
  4. 2011
Platform
  1. Windows
  2. MacOS
In a workbook I am creating, I check to see if the user input all of the information they were supposed to. One way it does this is the look at the value in a cell that has a SUM formula in it, and compares it to some other cells where the user broke down each individual amount. (The amounts they are entering are currency amounts, so they always has two decimal places.) If the user did everything correctly, the two numbers that are being compared will be equal, and everything should work perfectly.

However, in my testing of the workbook, I ran across a scenario where the two numbers are identical, but Excel is saying they are not. My code:

Code:
Dim SummaryTotal As Double
Dim SumOfIndColTotals As Double

With ThisWorkbook.Sheets("Sheet1")

SummaryTotal = .Range("G211").Value
    SumOfIndColTotals = Application.WorksheetFunction.Sum(.Range("I211:AL211"))

End With

Cell G211 has a SUM function in it, adding up cells G10:G210.
The cells being added up by the WorksheetFunction.Sum line all have SUM functions in them like G211, except for their individual columns. (I211 is a sum of I10:I210, etc.)

The very next line of code is where I'm having the issue. It's the beginning of an IF block.

Code:
If SummaryTotal > SumOfIndColTotals Then

When I step through the code and watch both of these variables, Excel says that both are equal to 97.27. Therefore, this IF block should be skipped over when I step through the code on this line. But it's not. The IF block executes, and gives a MsgBox warning the user there is a problem. Obviously, it should not do this, because the numbers ARE the same.

Here's a screenshot of my watch window.
Watch-window.png

If I change one of the values on my worksheet so that both of the above variables equal 177.27, the code works the way it should. If I change one of the values so that both of the above variables equal 97.28, the code works the way it should. However, if I change them so they are both equal to 107.27, the same problem happens.

Anyone have any ideas why this would be happening?

Excel Facts

Links? Where??
If Excel says you have links but you can't find them, go to Formulas, Name Manager. Look for old links to dead workbooks & delete.
Could be rounding in the individual items.
Try increasing the decimal places in the cells to see if there is a variance !

Upvote 0
I just added two more decimal places to all the cells, but in every case, the extra decimal places just showed zeros. The problem still happened. :(

Upvote 0
I figured out a work-around. I added 'Round' to the two lines of code that assign the totals to the variables, like so:

Code:
    SummaryTotal = Round(.Range("G211").Value, 2)
    SumOfIndColTotals = Round(Application.WorksheetFunction.Sum(.Range("I211:AL211")), 2)

I still don't understand why the heck it was happening, but at least it's solved now. :cool:

Upvote 0
you could also check to make sure one of cells isn't formatted as text !!

Upvote 0
I just added two more decimal places to all the cells, but in every case, the extra decimal places just showed zeros. The problem still happened. :(

Try showing 15 decimals

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dbonilla0331

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back