tracer arrows?

cheveley

how does one get tracer arrows to appear when looking for a circular reference?

thanks.

Some videos you may like

Excel Facts

How to total the visible cells?
From the first blank cell below a filtered data set, press Alt+=. Instead of SUM, you will get SUBTOTAL(9,)

Gates Is Antichrist

Yes, they should, yet I've been unable to locate them at times; I think you're right, that there are occasions when they DON'T appear.

Whether that actually happens (I'm not positive that it does), my fallback approach is view/toolbars/circular (which ALSO should have automatically appeared - but I seem to recall times it too didn't!!). Viewing the toolbar in itself should spawn one [more] generation of arrows. (To my recollection, that last step always works.) Even if there STILL aren't any, you can navigate to the affected cells via the toolbar, and alt-t-u-d or alt-t-u-t.

Extra info: there are obscure VBA functions to create the arrows - with the bonus of applying to an entire range; the menu one only works for single cells. Holler if you want that.

One theory on why the arrows would not appear is because a workbook is extensive and is pushing the calculation limits - i.e., the number of dependencies. AAR the status bar never fails to work, ensuring that anyone looking over your shoulder will conclude you're a circular-referencing ninny! :unsure: :rolleyes:

cheveley

thanks for the reply. will live with the "now you see them, now you dont".

Watch MrExcel Video

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jhgeorge