Transfer Data

wislndixie

I have an older db that I used for a long time. I've designed another newer db that I now want to use. The newer db has some of the same controls in my tables as the older one, but not all of them. How can I transfer all of my cusomter data into the new one? I've looked at trying to import into the newer one but I don't want to transer the older tables, forms etc. Just the customer data..
Thanks,
Mike

Excel Facts

Create a chart in one keystroke
Select the data and press Alt+F1 to insert a default chart. You can change the default chart to any chart type
I don't know if you can import Data only directly from one Access DB to another. I don't see that opton, I see where you can import Definition and Data or Definition only, but not data only.

I would export the data from your older DB to a text file, then import that text file into your new DB table.

Upvote 0
Have you tried simply attaching the tables from that other database to your Access database? If that works, you should have no problem importing the data.

Upvote 0
Why don't you temporarily link the tables from the old DB - then you can create a query to append whatever details you need into your new DB tables - just an idea

Martin

Upvote 0
Even simpler, building on tkarpf's suggestion:

1. Split the old database. This separates tables from everything new
2. Ditto the new database.
3. In the new database, delete EVERY table link (the ones with an arrow in front of them)
4. File | Get External Data | Link Tables
5. In the dialog, browse to the OLD backend database, open it, select all tables, and click OK.

No import required and if, as you said, all tables and fields are the same, you're done. Split dbs are also better in multi-user situations: just give each user a copy of the front end and they can use the same data source.

Also, if you want to do another upgrade, you just copy the front end, modify the copy until you're happy that it's doing what you need, then archive the old version and put the new into production.

Denis

Denis

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cdnMech

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back