Transpose - reformat workbook

Georgejung

I have search for a while but have found nothing that will work on my data which is unfortunately very poorly formatted when it comes out of the system.

What I have here is a bunch of learning plans for people. Column A is the name of the employee which I have editied for privacy. Column B is the status of the plan, column C is the cost to the dept, D is the cost to the person, E is the time away from work, F is time during non-working hours.

Then we have the details of the learning activities. I would like to take these columns and transpose them to rows so that each 'category' is it's own row. I have manually formatted the first record so you can see what I am after. There are a few particulars that make this complicated. One is that the rows in column G are not always the same - sometimes there is not an 'activity' for the 'category', and sometimes there are multiple approaches for the same 'category'. There is also column I which is the status of that 'approach'.

As you can see in the final worksheet I would like all of the 'category's to line up, and all of the 'activites' to line up and so on. The columns A-F can be repeated for each 'Category' (row).

Final:
Name</SPAN>Status</SPAN>Cost D</SPAN>Cost P</SPAN>Time D</SPAN>Time P</SPAN>Category:</SPAN>Activity:</SPAN>Goal:</SPAN>Approaches:</SPAN>Complete</SPAN>
Ay, T</SPAN>Final (Agreed)</SPAN>-</SPAN>-</SPAN>19</SPAN>-</SPAN>Professional and Personal Effectiveness / Managing Change and Transitions</SPAN>Navigating through change - Basic (Beginner)</SPAN>To strengthen my ability to deal with change at home and in the work place so that I maintain the separation between my home life and my work life.</SPAN>Classroom training</SPAN>Not Completed</SPAN>
Ay, T</SPAN>Final (Agreed)</SPAN>-</SPAN>-</SPAN>19</SPAN>-</SPAN>Retirement planning / All Aspects</SPAN>Retirement planning - Basic (Beginner)</SPAN>To learn about my retirement options and to understand them.</SPAN>Classroom training</SPAN>Ongoing</SPAN>
Ay, T</SPAN>Final (Agreed)</SPAN>-</SPAN>-</SPAN>19</SPAN>-</SPAN>Professional and Personal Effectiveness / Communication Skills</SPAN>Communication skills - Basic (Beginner)</SPAN>To enhance my oral communication skills so I can be a more effective communicator in person at work and at home.</SPAN>Classroom training</SPAN>Ongoing</SPAN>
Ao, R</SPAN>Final (Not Agreed)</SPAN>-</SPAN>-</SPAN>-</SPAN>-</SPAN>Category:</SPAN>Computer Skills / Information Technology (IT) </SPAN>
Activity:</SPAN>Courses in specialized software, web technologies and Sharepoint 2010 development - Expert</SPAN>
Goal:</SPAN>This goal will change in content depending on the chosen software projects.</SPAN>
Approaches:</SPAN>Reading resources</SPAN>Ongoing</SPAN>
Classroom training</SPAN>Ongoing</SPAN>
Category:</SPAN>Finance and Administration (Non-managers) / Procurement/Contract Administration </SPAN>
Activity:</SPAN>Procurement and Contract procedures - Basic (Beginner)</SPAN>
Goal:</SPAN>To better understand the procurement and contract obligations that our department has to fulfill.</SPAN>
Approaches:</SPAN>Classroom training</SPAN>Ongoing</SPAN>
Ay, L</SPAN>Final (Agreed)</SPAN>$5,534.77</SPAN>-</SPAN>90</SPAN>-</SPAN>Category:</SPAN>Legal Knowledge / Criminal Law</SPAN>
Activity:</SPAN>federation of Law Societies Criminal Law Conference</SPAN>
Goal:</SPAN>This is an annual national Criminal Law Conference. The conference theme is "Evidence, Ethics and Administration of Justice" is directly relevant to discharging my responsibilities as Agent Supervisor.</SPAN>
Approaches:</SPAN>Symposiums or conferences</SPAN>Not Completed</SPAN>
Category:</SPAN>Finance and Administration (Non-managers) / Other</SPAN>
Activity:</SPAN>Assessing Agent Performance</SPAN>
Goal:</SPAN>Meet National AAU ICASE coordinator to discuss accessing, availability and assessment of ICASE reports relevant to assessing agent performance.</SPAN>
Approaches:</SPAN>Tutoring</SPAN>Not Completed</SPAN>
Activity:</SPAN>Fixed Term Competitions</SPAN>
Goal:</SPAN>Improve ability to address topical Agent Affairs issues by reveiwing same with expereinced VRO Agent Supervisor.</SPAN>
Approaches:</SPAN>Peer learning</SPAN>Not Completed</SPAN>
Am, P</SPAN>Final (Agreed)</SPAN>$2,000</SPAN>-</SPAN>56</SPAN>-</SPAN>Category:</SPAN>Legal Knowledge / Environment Law</SPAN>
Goal:</SPAN>continued training and conduct of complex environmental prosecutions.</SPAN>
Practice Groups/Communities of Practice </SPAN>Ongoing</SPAN>
Category:</SPAN>Legal Knowledge / International Law</SPAN>
Goal:</SPAN>developing expertise re; international law and related jurisdictional issues.</SPAN>
Category:</SPAN>Legal Skills / Advocacy - Appellate </SPAN>
Goal:</SPAN>continue to refine appellate advocacy skills in wide variety of legal contexts.</SPAN>

<TBODY>
</TBODY><COLGROUP><COL><COL><COL><COL><COL span=2><COL><COL><COL><COL><COL></COLGROUP>

Original:
Ay, T</SPAN>Final (Agreed)</SPAN>-</SPAN>-</SPAN>19</SPAN>-</SPAN>Category:</SPAN>Professional and Personal Effectiveness / Managing Change and Transitions</SPAN>
Activity:</SPAN>Navigating through change - Basic (Beginner)</SPAN>
Goal:</SPAN>To strengthen my ability to deal with change at home and in the work place so that I maintain the separation between my home life and my work life.</SPAN>
Approaches:</SPAN>Classroom training</SPAN>Not Completed</SPAN>
Category:</SPAN>Retirement planning / All Aspects</SPAN>
Activity:</SPAN>Retirement planning - Basic (Beginner)</SPAN>
Goal:</SPAN>To learn about my retirement options and to understand them.</SPAN>
Category:</SPAN>Professional and Personal Effectiveness / Communication Skills</SPAN>
Activity:</SPAN>Communication skills - Basic (Beginner)</SPAN>
Goal:</SPAN>To enhance my oral communication skills so I can be a more effective communicator in person at work and at home.</SPAN>
Ao, R</SPAN>Final (Not Agreed)</SPAN>-</SPAN>-</SPAN>-</SPAN>-</SPAN>Category:</SPAN>Computer Skills / Information Technology (IT) </SPAN>
Activity:</SPAN>Courses in specialized software, web technologies and Sharepoint 2010 development - Expert</SPAN>
Goal:</SPAN>This goal will change in content depending on the chosen software projects.</SPAN>
Approaches:</SPAN>Reading resources</SPAN>Ongoing</SPAN>
Classroom training</SPAN>Ongoing</SPAN>
Category:</SPAN>Finance and Administration (Non-managers) / Procurement/Contract Administration </SPAN>
Activity:</SPAN>Procurement and Contract procedures - Basic (Beginner)</SPAN>
Goal:</SPAN>To better understand the procurement and contract obligations that our department has to fulfill.</SPAN>
Ay, L</SPAN>Final (Agreed)</SPAN>$5,534.77</SPAN>-</SPAN>90</SPAN>-</SPAN>Category:</SPAN>Legal Knowledge / Criminal Law</SPAN>
Activity:</SPAN>federation of Law Societies Criminal Law Conference</SPAN>
Goal:</SPAN>This is an annual national Criminal Law Conference. The conference theme is "Evidence, Ethics and Administration of Justice" is directly relevant to discharging my responsibilities as Agent Supervisor.</SPAN>
Activity:</SPAN>Assessing Agent Performance</SPAN>
Goal:</SPAN>Meet National AAU ICASE coordinator to discuss accessing, availability and assessment of ICASE reports relevant to assessing agent performance.</SPAN>
Approaches:</SPAN>Tutoring</SPAN>Not Completed</SPAN>
Activity:</SPAN>Fixed Term Competitions</SPAN>
Goal:</SPAN>Improve ability to address topical Agent Affairs issues by reveiwing same with expereinced VRO Agent Supervisor.</SPAN>
Approaches:</SPAN>Peer learning</SPAN>Not Completed</SPAN>
Am, P</SPAN>Final (Agreed)</SPAN>$2,000</SPAN>-</SPAN>56</SPAN>-</SPAN>Category:</SPAN>Legal Knowledge / Environment Law</SPAN>
Goal:</SPAN>continued training and conduct of complex environmental prosecutions.</SPAN>
Practice Groups/Communities of Practice </SPAN>Ongoing</SPAN>
Category:</SPAN>Legal Knowledge / International Law</SPAN>
Goal:</SPAN>developing expertise re; international law and related jurisdictional issues.</SPAN>
Category:</SPAN>Legal Skills / Advocacy - Appellate </SPAN>
Goal:</SPAN>continue to refine appellate advocacy skills in wide variety of legal contexts.</SPAN>

<TBODY>
</TBODY><COLGROUP><COL><COL><COL><COL><COL><COL><COL><COL><COL></COLGROUP>

Last edited:

Excel Facts

Using Function Arguments with nested formulas
If writing INDEX in Func. Arguments, type MATCH(. Use the mouse to click inside MATCH in the formula bar. Dialog switches to MATCH.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
excelknuckles

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back