TreeView control disappearing from shared workbook

der_roedie

Hello,

I have a strange problem and I have no idea what's causing it.
I have written an application in Excel 2003 that is used by multiple users. The workbook is located on a network-share and everybody except me has read-only rights there.

Since last week a user opened the workbook and it gave run-time errors when starting up (not really good at error-trapping :) ). After investigating it was clear that the Treeview-control was missing from the main-form. The Treeview control (6.0) is essential for the application and needs to be there because it gets populated with data from a SQL database. I corrected the problem by adding the treeview control again and saved the file. Today the control was missing again !?!?!?!

Does anybody have a clue why it is possible that the treeview control is gone eventhough nobody is able to save the file?

Regards,

Ruud

Excel Facts

Enter current date or time
Ctrl+: enters current time. Ctrl+; enters current date. Use Ctrl+: Ctrl+; Enter for current date & time.
der,

It sounds like there is something happening on the network side. Check with your IT section to see if they run anti-virus that strips out ActiveX controls (these are sometimes seen as threats) and if the software has been updated lately it may have reverted to default settings, the other thing it could be is that the AX control is missing from the server where the shared woorkbook is.

The only things I can think of!

Upvote 0
If antivirus is disabling the control then it should be disabled the moment I reopen the workbook just after I fixed the treeview control and saved it again but that is not happening. The workbook then works fine for me. After a while (maybe when other users opened the book) all of a sudden the control is gone.

The Treeview control is installed on every computer that uses the workbook and it should then only cause a problem with specific users.

Also, the timestamp of the file is not changed at all.\

It's driving me crazy :?

Upvote 0
der,

the only other thing I can think of is that the TV is throwing an error when connecting to the SQL Database (could the user who had the problem, not have the correct permissions on the Db?) and removing it at runtime.

I'm lost for any other ideas. Sorry!

Upvote 0
It's not the treeview control that is throwing an error but the control is simply not there anymore, at least there is an empty unreferenced control on the sheet. So it's more like a compile error when you start the sheet because the object 'TreeView1' is not there anymore.

Thanks for giving my problem some thougths anyway :)

Upvote 0
Hi der_roedie,

I have the same problem. Just recently started using TreeView. Even in Excel 2007 I had 2 problems:
  1. TreeView kept disappearing but I could just add it back, rename and all was well. But annoying and not good for when I deploy to users.
  2. When the workbook Saves (or AutoSaves) the entire Tree expands.

Now I have an added problem. Testing the TreeView in Excel 2010 32-bit (1) it works if placed on a sheet BUT it can't find the control - I don't even seem to be able to add it - if placed on a UserForm.

Help!
Thanks anyone.

(love it when it works though!)

Upvote 0
Hi der_roedie,

I have the same problem. Just recently started using TreeView. Even in Excel 2007 I had 2 problems:
  1. TreeView kept disappearing but I could just add it back, rename and all was well. But annoying and not good for when I deploy to users.
  2. When the workbook Saves (or AutoSaves) the entire Tree expands.
Now I have an added problem. Testing the TreeView in Excel 2010 32-bit (1) it works if placed on a sheet BUT it can't find the control - I don't even seem to be able to add it - if placed on a UserForm.

Help!
Thanks anyone.

(love it when it works though!)

Hi Hiran,

to prevent the treecontrol to expand on saving the workbook, you could add the following line in the beforesaving event of the workbook:

object.expanded = false

If you find a solution to the problem with the disappearing treeview control please post it here.

Upvote 0
Hi Hiran,

to prevent the treecontrol to expand on saving the workbook, you could add the following line in the beforesaving event of the workbook:

object.expanded = false

Thanks for that. Duh! should have thought of it!

I'm still working on the (1) disappearing TreeView and (2) Excel 2010 issue.

Going forward, shall start a discussion on TreeView/VSTO/VBA on a new thread.

Upvote 0
How are you adding the TV to the userform?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hanakoro

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back