Treeview Parents/Child - How to return the first non blank value located one column to the left of the source cell and n rows upward.

UlyssesFR

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi all, I'll try to be as clear as possible so please do not hesitate to ask for clarification.

I'm working with a text file data extracted from CATIA V5 that replicates the tree structure of an assembly with its components and subcomponents.

From that text file I arranged the source data in column A and B in such a way:
  • Column A contains the assembly level (0 being the top assembly all the way down to level 3)
  • Column B contains the component's part number or name

I have formatted that data in a more visual way in columns C to F to replicate a treeview structure:
  • So column C has the top assembly at level 0
  • Column D has all the sub-components at level 1
  • Column E, level 2 sub-components
  • Column F, level 3 sub-components
This formatting was achieved by using the following formula:
  • Cell C3 for example is =IF($C$2=VALUE(A3),B3,"DELETE")
  • This formula was then pasted across columns C to F cells.
  • I then run a VBA macro that clears the content of all cells containing the DELETE value to make sure all unused cells in columns C to F are truly empty.

Now... What I'm trying to achieve is to return the parent component of each component in their corresponding row (eee the attached picture to see the wanted results)

For example for SUB-ASSY 1 row 5; I would like cell G5 to return the value ASSY 1 (contained in cells B4 or D4)
Another example in PART 10 row 17; I would like cell G17 to return the value TOP ASSY (contained in cells B3 or C3)

I'm not sure if that could be achieved by just using the source data column A and B:

I'm thinking for example, cell G12 looks at the value of cell A12 (in that case 1) then looks upward for the first value that is equal to the value in cell A12 minus 1 (in that case 0) which would be in cell A3 and then returns the value in the cell adjacent to it (in that case cell B3 = TOP ASSY)

Or if this could be achieved using the formatted data in column C to F:

I'm thinking for example, cell G12 looks in range C12:F12 for a non-empty cell (in that case cell D12), then goes one column to the left (Column C) and n rows upward until it meets the first non-empty cell (in that case cell C3) and returns its value (TOP ASSY)

Unfortunately, I've been looking at this for a while now and I'm no closer to finding a solution :(

I hope you can help me, thank you for your time :)

Kind regards,

Attachments

• TREEVIEW.jpg
    TREEVIEW.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 37
I'm using DELETE in the formula =IF($E$2=C3,D3,"DELETE") because I needed the cell to be truly empty instead of containing a ""
Yes, you mentioned that earlier but I was wondering why they needed to be 'truly empty' as the "" would not affect the formula that I provided. Presumably it is related to some other process that happens subsequently?

Another option that may work for you is to use "" in your formula instead of "DELETE" and then instead of cycling through all the cells individually, perhaps ..
VBA Code:
With ActiveSheet.UsedRange
  .Value = .Value
End With

Not sure how to edit a post once it's been posted...
Very new members (ie those with who have not made many posts) cannot edit posts (it is an anti-spam measure). Once you have made a few legitimate posts you can then edit but only for 10 minutes after posting. I think you should now qualify so when you next make a post you should see an 'Edit' link at the bottom left of the post.

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Copy formula down without changing references
If you have =SUM(F2:F49) in F50; type Alt+' in F51 to copy =SUM(F2:F49) to F51, leaving the formula in edit mode. Change SUM to COUNT.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandomExceller01

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back