Tri-Color Conditional Formatting

pleasehelpSP

Hi all,

I want to create conditional formatting that is quite simple - but I'm not very Excel literate and can't seem to have the patience to figure it out!

All I want is for each cell in a column to be shaded a color for easy viewing. Red for negative numbers, yellow for zero, and green for positive numbers. I've messed with the conditional formatting option but cant seem to figure out if I need formulas or can just use simple values.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated - thanks!

-SP

Excel Facts

How to total the visible cells?
From the first blank cell below a filtered data set, press Alt+=. Instead of SUM, you will get SUBTOTAL(9,)
Using cell value is

Less than 0 set red format
Equal to 0 set yellow format
Greater than 0 set green format

3 different conditions although this could be reduced to 2 if you set the default cell colour to yellow and formatted only greater/less than ;)

Upvote 0
Using cell value is

Less than 0 set red format
Equal to 0 set yellow format
Greater than 0 set green format

3 different conditions although this could be reduced to 2 if you set the default cell colour to yellow and formatted only greater/less than ;)

Yes - I know that is how it should be segmented but I'm unsure as to which "type" to select and the required way I'll need to enter it. Ex: would I need to make it a "formula"? The "number" option does not seem to work if I type in <, >, or = ....... And if I make it a formula how would I type it? Do I have to do an IF/THEN type thing?

Upvote 0
In the cell value option you choose greater than/less than/equal to etc from a drop down and simply type the 0 in the text box

You do not need to use "formula is" for what you asked, no if or but just Cell Value Is from 1st drop down, Greater than/less than/equal to from the second and the number 0 in the textbox which is last.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ExcelError

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back