Tricky VBA Question??

MVX

Hi,
Have two Workbooks (1 Sheet in each) and was wondering whether the following is possible?
Each 'workbook' has;
Column 'A' - Unique employee pay number; (there may be more than one entry for the employee but column's 'x' and 'Y' are different in these cases
Column 'X' has date;
Column 'Y' has date; (Different from 'X')
Each workbook mirrors each other in number of columns/headings. The data is extrapolated from a database and can have up to 5000 rows of data on each sheet.

Trying to have row highlighted in Workbook 2 where;
  • Data in column 'Y' differs between Workbooks (i.e. different date in Workbook 2 opposed to Workbook 1 where date has been changed between audits)
  • Data in Workbook 1 that is not in Workbook 2 (i.e. where data row has been 'deleted' between audits)
  • Data in Workbook 2 that is not in Workbook 1 (i.e where data has been 'added' to database between audit dates)
Hope this makes sense!!!:confused::confused:

I am not sure whether a VBA script would be the right way to go about this problem so any advice would be appreciated.:rolleyes:

Excel Facts

Which Excel functions can ignore hidden rows?
The SUBTOTAL and AGGREGATE functions ignore hidden rows. AGGREGATE can also exclude error cells and more.
what is suggest is this: copy all data from workbook 1 to workbook 2, or vice versa on to a new sheet in the respective document. Create a Vlookup to match the documents. You probably don't need VBA to do this. If your base workbook is Workbook 1, then match workbook 1 to 2 via VLOOKUP.

Upvote 0
Many Thanks for that -

Copying the Workbook 2 Sheet into Workbook 1 is the obvious way to go about it! BUT I know nothing whatsoever about VLookup - Can you suggest how i would go about starting the formula

Kind Regards

Upvote 0
Was thinking what about an if(countif) formula ?? opposed to a VLookup formula what is the best to pursue????

Upvote 0
Many Thanks for that -

Copying the Workbook 2 Sheet into Workbook 1 is the obvious way to go about it! BUT I know nothing whatsoever about VLookup - Can you suggest how i would go about starting the formula

Kind Regards

Code:
=VLOOKUP($E2,AltRes,4,FALSE)
or
=VLOOKUP($E2,$B$2:$D$599,4,FALSE)

worth a play with, must make sure that the data you want to find is in your left hand column, i'll elucidate

the column that i want to match is held in column E (constrained by the $ symbol to stop the reference moving as you drag the formula

in my first example i have created a named ranged, its easier for me, but the second example shows it as cell references, again constrain your data with $ and you will be half way there, the value I am after is the four '4' value across the columns. False means I want an exact match.

The data you are searching for as a reference must be in the left most column of your range.

When you work with numbers as your target it will only return the closest number above, so I prefer non numeric lookup.

you could use "Eric" instead of $E2 if you wish

occasionally even when perfectly written you might find errors or the formula refuses to resolve to you intended value, its confusing, be persistant it will work, recording macros at the same time can be one issue

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ava19

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back