Trim carriage returns at end of string

Betherski

Office Version
  1. 2016
Platform
  1. Windows
I have an extract that contains several comments fields. Some lines only have 1 comment populated, and some have several populated. I want to combine into a single comment field, with a line between each comment. I have this formula to combine them:
=CONCATENATE(EN2,CHAR(10),EO2,CHAR(10),EP2,CHAR(10),EQ2,CHAR(10),ER2,CHAR(10),ES2,CHAR(10),ET2,CHAR(10),EU2,CHAR(10),EV2,CHAR(10),EW2,CHAR(10),EX2,CHAR(10),EY2,CHAR(10),EZ2,CHAR(10),FA2,CHAR(10),FB2,CHAR(10),FC2,CHAR(10),FD2,CHAR(10),FE2,CHAR(10),FF2,CHAR(10),FG2,CHAR(10),FH2,CHAR(10),FI2,CHAR(10),SJ2,CHAR(10),FK2,CHAR(10),FL2,CHAR(10),FM2)

I then want to delete the delete the carriage returns at the end, but keep the carriage returns between the comments.

=TRIM(SUBSTITUTE(A1,CHAR(10),""))
This is deleting all of the carriage returns. How can I just get it to delete everything after the end of the text?

Excel Facts

Test for Multiple Conditions in IF?
Use AND(test, test, test, test) or OR(test, test, test, ...) as the logical_test argument of IF.
Which version of Excel are you using?
And what do you mean "after the end of the text"? Does each cell have whitespace in it?

Upvote 0
I am using Excel 2016. By after the end of the text, I mean after the last populated comment. The concatenated cell is very large, because it contains all of the carriage returns, whether there was one comment populated or 20 comments populated.

Upvote 0
OK, see the JoinString function by Rick Rothstein in this thread.

Upvote 0
I am using Excel 2016.
Please add that information to your Account details (or click your user name at the top right of the forum) so helpers always know what Excel version(s) & platform(s) you are using as the best solution often varies by version. (Don’t forget to scroll down & ‘Save’)

Upvote 0
If you want to stick to a standard worksheet function approach you could use a structure like this. I have only done a few of the sections to demonstrate the concept - you would have to add the others.

Excel Formula:
=SUBSTITUTE(MID(CONCATENATE(IF(EN2="","","|"&EN2),IF(EO2="","","|"&EO2),IF(EP2="","","|"&EP2),IF(EQ2="","","|"&EQ2)),2,1000),"|",CHAR(10))

A bit surer would be
Excel Formula:
=SUBSTITUTE(REPLACE(CONCATENATE(IF(EN2="","","|"&EN2),IF(EO2="","","|"&EO2),IF(EP2="","","|"&EP2),IF(EQ2="","","|"&EQ2)),1,1,""),"|",CHAR(10))

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Solution
If you want to stick to a standard worksheet function approach you could use a structure like this. I have only done a few of the sections to demonstrate the concept - you would have to add the others.

Excel Formula:
=SUBSTITUTE(MID(CONCATENATE(IF(EN2="","","|"&EN2),IF(EO2="","","|"&EO2),IF(EP2="","","|"&EP2),IF(EQ2="","","|"&EQ2)),2,1000),"|",CHAR(10))

A bit surer would be
Excel Formula:
=SUBSTITUTE(REPLACE(CONCATENATE(IF(EN2="","","|"&EN2),IF(EO2="","","|"&EO2),IF(EP2="","","|"&EP2),IF(EQ2="","","|"&EQ2)),1,1,""),"|",CHAR(10))
Worked perfectly!! Thank you so much!!!

Upvote 0
OK, see the JoinString function by Rick Rothstein in this thread.

Thanks very much for the response! I was trying this out and having issues (mostly due to my Excel skills). I ended up using Peter's solution, just because it was simpler (for me). I really appreciate the help!

Upvote 0
You're welcome. Glad we could help. Thanks for the follow-up. :)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DW Draft

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back