Trouble getting Excel 2007 to recognize barcode reader

Hen3rietta

I have an Opticon OPN 2001 Barcode reader and am using Excel 2007. The barcode reader works seamlessly with another program I have (Book Collector/Collectorz.com) and I'd like to be able to input barcodes into an Excel spreadsheet. I've tested the reader by printing out barcodes in Code39 and it reads those just fine into the other program, but when I address an empty cell in Excel nothing happens, even if I've formatted the cell to use the same font as the originating code.

I've gone to the barcode reader's home site IDautomation, followed their instructions three times and tried installing their add-on which only seems to have the effect of creating a barcode out of whatever is in the cell, not aid in importing the code from the reader itself.

Is there some vital box that I have checked/not checked, or add-on that I am missing? It seems that Excel just doesn't recognize that there is any input at all although I am using what appears to be a "keyboard wedge" (two USB connectors on one end and a smaller one for the reader itself). From what I can tell, this should input the information as though from a keyboard. I read through what I could find that seemed pertinent in Excel help, generally online and searching this forum and haven't had any success at finding a solution.

Thanks for any help you can give me on this.

Hen3rietta

Excel Facts

How to fill five years of quarters?
Type 1Q-2023 in a cell. Grab the fill handle and drag down or right. After 4Q-2023, Excel will jump to 1Q-2024. Dash can be any character.
I have an Opticon OPN 2001 Barcode reader and am using Excel 2007. The barcode reader works seamlessly with another program I have (Book Collector/Collectorz.com) and I'd like to be able to input barcodes into an Excel spreadsheet. I've tested the reader by printing out barcodes in Code39 and it reads those just fine into the other program, but when I address an empty cell in Excel nothing happens, even if I've formatted the cell to use the same font as the originating code.

I've gone to the barcode reader's home site IDautomation, followed their instructions three times and tried installing their add-on which only seems to have the effect of creating a barcode out of whatever is in the cell, not aid in importing the code from the reader itself.

Is there some vital box that I have checked/not checked, or add-on that I am missing? It seems that Excel just doesn't recognize that there is any input at all although I am using what appears to be a "keyboard wedge" (two USB connectors on one end and a smaller one for the reader itself). From what I can tell, this should input the information as though from a keyboard. I read through what I could find that seemed pertinent in Excel help, generally online and searching this forum and haven't had any success at finding a solution.

Thanks for any help you can give me on this.

Hen3rietta
Does your barcode reader only applicable for Excel 2007?

Upvote 0
No. It is a general use barcode reader that I use with a book cataloging program I have. It claims I can use it for any program that will accept a barcode entry.

Hen3rietta

Upvote 0
Thanks! I'll see if I can get that to work. After a lot of browsing and reading, it may actually be my that my computer is running an older OS, or that I didn't upload the right portions when I installed or something like that. In the long run, the whole exercise might be more trouble than it is worth for the limited purpose I want it for. I do appreciate the reply.
Thanks again.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
webster33

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back