Trouble saving 2019 workbook in the hidden view

Fly_By_Night

Office Version
  1. 2019
Platform
  1. Windows
I recently purchased a new Dell tower computer that is running Windows 10. I also purchased and installed Office 2019 Home & Student software. I created a spreadsheet with just a list of business locations on it. (no macros involved) I placed this into a folder that automatically opens this spreadsheet whenever Excel is started. I draw the data off of this sheet from several different workbooks to be used as "Location List" in my drop down boxes. I want this spreadsheet to be hidden from view when it opens so that I only view the open workbook that I am working on not the sheet with the business locations. I go to the View tab on the banner of the business location sheet and select the "Hide" button to hide the whole workbook. I then hit the X close button in the upper right. When prompted if I want to save I select "Yes" The problem is Excel does not remember that the "Hide" button was selected and when the sheet is reopened all the data is visible. (just as if you chose unhide). I moved the spreadsheet outside of my Excel Start up folder to the desktop. Same result. I created another worksheet on the desktop tried to save it in the hidden view but same result. Whenever you open the sheet it is back in the "Unhide Mode" I never had this problem with my old computer and my computer at work. Both run Windows 7 and Office 2013. Not sure what I am missing or if it's a setting but I cannot find anything on the internet. I don't know if it's an Office glitch or a Windows 10 problem. I am open for suggestions.

Excel Facts

Get help while writing formula
Click the italics "fx" icon to the left of the formula bar to open the Functions Arguments dialog. Help is displayed for each argument.
1.PNG

Add one New Sheet.
Select the tabs you wish to hide
Right click
Select Hide
Save

Upvote 0
Hi & welcome to MrExcel.
Whilst I'm using 365 on Win 10 rather than 2019, I cannot replicate that behaviour. If I save a file whilst it's hidden it always opens as hidden, regardless of location or file extension.
Try creating a personal macro file & see if you get the same behaviour with that.

Upvote 0
View attachment 6426
Add one New Sheet.
Select the tabs you wish to hide
Right click
Select Hide
Save
Thank you for your response. This won't work for me. What you are doing is trying to hide an individual worksheet(s). Your cannot hide all worksheets in a workbook. Excel requires that you always leave one sheet visible. I want to hide the entire workbook. Regardless if I put it into a special start up folder or just create a spreadsheet on my desktop when I go to my view tab at the top of the page and select "Hide" then save my changes the sheet when reopened shows all the data is visible. If I hide an individual tab for a worksheet save and close then reopen the sheet remains hidden. In other words I can hide sheets but not the entire workbook.

Upvote 0
Thank you for your response. This won't work for me. What you are doing is trying to hide an individual worksheet(s). Your cannot hide all worksheets in a workbook. Excel requires that you always leave one sheet visible. I want to hide the entire workbook. Regardless if I put it into a special start up folder or just create a spreadsheet on my desktop when I go to my view tab at the top of the page and select "Hide" then save my changes the sheet when reopened shows all the data is visible. If I hide an individual tab for a worksheet save and close then reopen the sheet remains hidden. In other words I can hide sheets but not the entire workbook.
Solution Found
After searching other forum sites and not finding any solutions I decided to uninstall and reinstall Office 2019. Had some problem because my account was messed up on Microsoft's website but with some online assistance I was able to reinstall Office 2019. This fixed the problem! Workbooks are staying hidden when I select the option in the "View" header ribbon and hit save.

Upvote 0
Glad you got it sorted & thanks for letting us know

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
greyangel23

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back