Trouble using INDIRECT function

stilton

I've been able to use INDIRECT in the past but not in the current context and not sure if this is possible. I have 700 worksheets in a separate folder named using numeric numbers 1-700 i.e. 252.xlsx which are all identical except the data in each cell value. I created a workbook to recap specific cell data in each which I can reference directly but if I decide to add another cell reference that's a lot of additional work and would like to make it a relative link.

The file(s) to reference are located at K:\GPM\Audit Projections\SAAR Archive\2015\Jun and I've hardcoded using ='K:\GPM\Audit Projections\SAAR Archive\2015\Jun\[232.xlsx]Prelim'!$H$5 and works but can't seem to use INDIRECT to replace [232.xlsx] for some reason.

I've tried =INDIRECT("'K:\GPM\Audit Projections\SAAR Archive\2015\Jun\[" & A5 & ".xlsx]Prelim'!$H$5") where cell A5 contains the number 7 which should equate to 7.xlsx but only shows a #ref error...I'd appreciate any help someone can provide!

Excel Facts

Pivot Table Drill Down
Double-click any number in a pivot table to create a new report showing all detail rows that make up that number
Unfortunately, Indirect doesn't work on closed workbooks.

There is an addin called MoreFunc that has an indirect equivalent that will.
Search google for MoreFunc Addin
You'll have to sort through a bunch of adds and junk to find it though..

Upvote 0
Good to know...thanks for the info! I did find it but unfortunately it didn't have the Indirect function included - several others I'll use but not that one in particular. For now I'll have to resolve to hard coding and maybe find another solution down the road.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
davidcom

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back