Trouble with a formula for an NFL picks sheet

bgry66

Have been doing an NFL picks sheet for about 5 years and decided to redo it from scratch. Problem I'm having is I want it to auto calculate a W for wins and an L for losses based on it comparing the persons pick (cell G3) to the games winner (cell F3). This part works fine.... here's the formula I'm using right now in cell H3 =IF(G3=F3,"W","L") This formula returns the outcome to cell H3 and so on down the column for all 16 games each week and totals all W's & L's at bottom of sheet (no problems) Here is my problem, since G3 & F3 are still equal to each other when they are blank (before people pick their games & before the games outcome is decided) it gives everyone a "W" every game & then gives everyone an "L" when they make their picks before the games are played because the cell G3 & F3 are no longer equal to each other. What can I do in the formula to return something other than a "W" when blank or "L" when people make picks so it won't calculate at the bottom as 16-0 or 0-16 before outcome of game?

Hope I explained this well enough, it's my first time on here.
Thank You,
bgry66

Excel Facts

Shade all formula cells
To shade all formula cells: Home, Find & Select, Formulas to select all formulas. Then apply a light fill color.
How about this:

Code:
=IF(OR(F3="",G3=""),"Alternative result goes here",IF(G3=F3,"W","L"))
Hope this helps,

Chris.

Upvote 0
Works like a charm, I replaced the "alternative result" to return a blank cell ("") now everyone's records are 0-0 like they should be before the games are played.
Thanks a lot......
bgry66

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mdusw

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back