Trouble with array formula, countif w/ multiple criteria examples provided

TXNCPO

Office Version
  1. 2016
Platform
  1. Windows
Good Morning,

I am attempting to get the follwing to work, not much above novice user but I try, not sure this is even possible, working formula and purpose at bottom of post.

Couple of failed attempts, based on help on simpler issues and internet searches.

=SUM(COUNTIFS($A$10:$A$58, ("GREEN","N/A","UNKNOWN","YELLOW","RED")) + COUNTIFS($B$11:$B$58, ("GREEN","N/A","UNKNOWN","YELLOW","RED")))

=SUM(COUNTIFS(A10:A58,("GREEN","N/A","UNKNOWN","YELLOW","RED"), B11:B58,("GREEN","N/A","UNKNOWN","YELLOW","RED"))

I cut/paste from the notepad doc i'm building the formula in and then Cntrl +Shift + Enter.

I have about 3 other permitations of failed attempts, but you may get the jist.

PURPOSE

I am counting by word (i.e. GREEN) as opposed to color, all instances of these 5 words as a denomenator (bottom number) with the numerator count being GREEN, N/A, UNKNOWN to give me a readiness percentage. The formulas work, just trying to expand knowledge and see if a more better way to approach.

I have gotten the count to work with the formula below to give result i'm looking for

NUMERATOR in cell G3

=COUNTIF($A$10:$A$72,"GREEN") + COUNTIF($A$10:$A$72,"N/A") + COUNTIF($A$10:$A$72,"UNKNOWN") + COUNTIF($B$11:$B$57,"GREEN") + COUNTIF($B$11:$B$57,"N/A") + COUNTIF($A$10:$A$72,"UNKNOWN")

DENOMENATOR in cell G4 (counting all 5 words)

=COUNTIF($A$10:$A$58,"GREEN") + COUNTIF($A$10:$A$58,"N/A") + COUNTIF($A$10:$A$58,"UNKNOWN") + COUNTIF($A$10:$A$58,"YELLOW") + COUNTIF($A$10:$A$58,"RED") + COUNTIF($B$11:$B$58,"GREEN") + COUNTIF($B$11:$B$58,"N/A") + COUNTIF($A$10:$A$58,"UNKNOWN") + COUNTIF($B$11:$B$58,"YELLOW") + COUNTIF($B$11:$B$58,"RED")

formula in cell to give percentage.

=G3/G4

Thank you

R/ Joe

Excel Facts

How to fill five years of quarters?
Type 1Q-2023 in a cell. Grab the fill handle and drag down or right. After 4Q-2023, Excel will jump to 1Q-2024. Dash can be any character.
Untested but try
=SUM(COUNTIFS($A$10:$A$58, {"GREEN","N/A","UNKNOWN","YELLOW","RED"}) + COUNTIFS($B$11:$B$58, {"GREEN","N/A","UNKNOWN","YELLOW","RED"}))
This is a normal formula, not an array formula

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I'm not at all sure about what you're trying to finally achieve (this is why sample data can be helpful, along with "expected result"), but try this format to the formula:

=SUM( COUNTIF( A:A, {"Green","NA","Red","Yellow"})) + SUM( COUNTIF( B:B, {"Black","Brown","Unknown"}))

Upvote 0
Fluff,

worked purfectly, was even able to simply delete out yellow and red to get other number.

Thank you.

Now to go back and figure out what I was doing wrong. I think I got hung up on Sqiggly brackets = array

Upvote 0
You're welcome & thanks for the feedback

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KB13

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back