Trouble with Chart Axis options in Excel 2016

garz

Office Version
  1. 2016
Platform
  1. Windows
Odd behaviour in Excel 2016 charts

I have a long running experiment with approx. 150 datapoints per day over approx. 3 years

Up until now I have been able to chart this in excel 2016 easily – by selecting the entire data range and selecting a line type chart – job done.

Moreover - if I wanted to look more closely at just sections of the timeline – I have been able to simply click on the horizontal (time) axis and in the format axis panel that opens on the right-hand side of the screen – manually edit the axis start date and end date.

See screenshot here

This worked perfectly for my needs.

However, I have recently needed to reorder rows in the data set to clean them up and then redraw the chart, again by selecting the whole data set and selecting line chart.

However now I no longer have the option to manually edit the horizontal axis date range - and instead the format axis options look like this

See this screenshot ( I would post the spreadsheet – but its huge – and I have not been able to demonstrate the issue on other charts)

What am I missing?

Excel Facts

What is the last column in Excel?
Excel columns run from A to Z, AA to AZ, AAA to XFD. The last column is XFD.
are you sure both chart are the same type, i think the 1st is a scatter and the 2nd a line chart.
So in the 2nd you don't have a lineair date

Upvote 0
are you sure both chart are the same type, i think the 1st is a scatter and the 2nd a line chart.
So in the 2nd you don't have a lineair date
thanks for the reply - yes i checked - both are line type charts

i found the issue with some help from another forum

although all cells in the axis row looked like dates - and indeed i had selected the entire row and formatted it as date - excel decided half of that row was in fact not a number( date)
i was able to use the ISNUMBER function to find them - once corrected the chart axis worked as before and i had the option to change the date range in the format axis dialogue panel

Upvote 0
Welcome to the MrExcel Message Board!
i found the issue with some help from another forum
For future reference.
Cross-posting (posting the same question in more than one forum) is not against our rules, but the method of doing so is covered by #13 of the Forum Rules.

Be sure to follow & read the link at the end of the rule too!

Can you please supply a link to the other site.

If you do cross-post in the future and also provide links, then there shouldn’t be a problem.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Armadillos

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back