trouble with #REF! error

Mark Arthur

This is my formula but if any cell in range c5-c41 is blank it returns a ref error

=IF(SUMPRODUCT(SUMIF(INDIRECT("'"&Settings!$C$5:$C$41&"'!H13:H55"),B3,INDIRECT("'"&Settings!$C$5:$C$41&"'!Y13:Y55")))=0,"",SUMPRODUCT(SUMIF(INDIRECT("'"&Settings!$C$5:$C$41&"'!H13:H55"),B3,INDIRECT("'"&Settings!$C$5:$C$41&"'!Y13:Y55"))))

Excel Facts

Save Often
If you start asking yourself if now is a good time to save your Excel workbook, the answer is Yes
Dont use a fixed range like Settings!C5:C41. Make that into a named range and dont put blank cells in it or it will error.

Upvote 0
deleted..

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The range is a list of names. I need the list to be able to be added to. This the range. There are 37 blank cells in the range and I need to be able to use whatever names are in the range.

Upvote 0
I would be fixing my spaces but you could use this formula but it leaves you open to not seeing other errors which may be in the data and producing results that are not correct. If you are sure your data is sound and there can be no errors other than the spaces causing them then:

=IF(SUMPRODUCT(IFERROR(SUMIF(INDIRECT("'"&Settings!$C$5:$C$41&"'!H13:H55"),B3,INDIRECT("'"&Settings!$C$5:$C$41&"'!Y13:Y55")),0))=0,"",SUMPRODUCT(IFERROR(SUMIF(INDIRECT("'"&Settings!$C$5:$C$41&"'!H13:H55"),B3,INDIRECT("'"&Settings!$C$5:$C$41&"'!Y13:Y55")),0)))

Enter CTRL-SHIFT-ENTER.

Upvote 0
did not work, this formula only reported blanks. I am no excel guru this is why I'm posting here, I'm self taught and I'm not a good teacher. lol

what I have is a Race result and standings spreadsheet that has to pull data from multiple tabs. each tab representing a race. the race list could be anywhere from 1-37 races. this is where the blanks come into play. I need the area people can enter races to be 37 spaces but i need the formula to be able to see each race added. I would be happy to send the file to anyone willing to help. the workbook is complete all but this problem

Upvote 0
This is my formula but if any cell in range c5-c41 is blank it returns a ref error

=IF(SUMPRODUCT(SUMIF(INDIRECT("'"&Settings!$C$5:$C$41&"'!H13:H55"),B3,INDIRECT("'"&Settings!$C$5:$C$41&"'!Y13:Y55")))=0,"",SUMPRODUCT(SUMIF(INDIRECT("'"&Settings!$C$5:$C$41&"'!H13:H55"),B3,INDIRECT("'"&Settings!$C$5:$C$41&"'!Y13:Y55"))))

Give this a try:

=IFERROR(SUMPRODUCT(SUMIF(INDIRECT("'"&Settings!$C$5:$C$41&"'!H13:H55"),B3,INDIRECT("'"&Settings!$C$5:$C$41&"'!Y13:Y55")))=0,"",SUMPRODUCT(SUMIF(INDIRECT("'"&Settings!$C$5:$C$41&"'!H13:H55"),B3,INDIRECT("'"&Settings!$C$5:$C$41&"'!Y13:Y55")))),0)

Upvote 0
TY for you help, got it working with this formula

{=SUMPRODUCT(IFERROR(SUMIF(INDIRECT("'"&Settings!$C$5:$C$41&"'!H13:H55"),B2,INDIRECT("'"&Settings!$C$5:$C$41&"'!Y13:Y55")),0))}

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nzskater

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back