True/False statement returns False when True

TMLstan

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I am using a true/false statement to double check sum of columns and row allocations on a budget. For some reason, the last true/false statement keeps returning a FALSE when the result is TRUE.

You can't see the column/row numbers in the image I am attaching but the formula for the cell returning the FALSE result is an if/then formula subtracting the value in the cell to the left (checksum column) from the value in the Per Period column total. So, in other words, If 36,692.62 - 36,692.62 = 0, true, false. Both cell references are TRIM'd. Both are formatted the same (accounting, 2 decimal).

Why would this be returning a FALSE statement. All of the tests above are similar tests.

Thanks for any guidance.

Attachments

• Presentation1.jpg
    Presentation1.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 345

Excel Facts

How can you automate Excel?
Press Alt+F11 from Windows Excel to open the Visual Basic for Applications (VBA) editor.
Without seeing the data in it's true form, I'd say it's a rounding error
If each column total is derived by formula the answer may APPEAR to be correct but has a few "cents" carry over, especially if there is any multiplication or Division involved

Upvote 0
Without seeing the data in it's true form, I'd say it's a rounding error
If each column total is derived by formula the answer may APPEAR to be correct but has a few "cents" carry over, especially if there is any multiplication or Division involved

Thanks for quick response. I was presuming the same, thus the use of the TRIM function which I thought accounted for the rounding errors.

I don't think I can post the original data can I? My understanding was that it had to be an image. You are correct that the other totals are all derived from by formula.

Upvote 0
No, TRIM doesn't account for rounding.
If you use the XL2BB to post your data, we can have a play with it.......note the XL2BB icon at the end of the reply toolbar

Upvote 0
Sorry, having trouble browsing to the downloaded add-in. Still working on it.

Upvote 0
Also,have a look at the MROUND function for dollar values !!

Upvote 0
That worked. I used ROUND function instead of TRIM function for the two cell values and the true/false statement returned a TRUE. Thank you.

Upvote 0
Glad it worked. TRIM is used for text not for numbers.
Also, have a read here for the benefits of rounding numbers in different ways....?

Upvote 0
Thanks. Yes, that was the reference article I found online after you directed me to the Round function.

Thanks again for your responsiveness.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Guy Boot

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back