Trust Center Setting

Tom Weaver

I have created a spreadsheet with macros. I have created a digital signature and have signed the VB code. I have distributed the spreadsheet to 30 people and have added myself as a trusted publisher to 28 of those computers. I have done this by opening the signed spreadsheet on their computer and have clicked "Trust all from this publisher".

Except for two computers.

These two computers never ask to add me as a trusted publisher nor do they give me an avenue to add myself as a trusted publisher.

I have inspected all the trust center settings and they are identical to all the other computers. It is as if these two computers ignore digital signatures.

Any help would be appreciated.

Excel Facts

Waterfall charts in Excel?
Office 365 customers have access to Waterfall charts since late 2016. They were added to Excel 2019.
What are the Macro Settings set at on their computers?
Is it set to "Disable all macros without notification"?

Upvote 0
Are the other computers that work using that same setting, or the "Disable all macros except digitally signed macros" setting?

If you go to the Message Bar section, check the "Showing the Message Bar" setting. Is it set to "Never show information about blocked content"?

Upvote 0
No, it shows "Show the Message Bar in all applications when content has been blocked".

Perhaps I should clarify... When these two users open the spreadsheet it asks them if they want to Enable the content.. but it never asks them or gives them an avenue to add my digital signature into their trusted publishers. So the trust center recognizes a macro exists AND prompts the user to enable the macro, but never recognizes (or shows recognition) that a digital signature exists.

Thanks,

Tom

Upvote 0
That is odd.

This is probably an obvious question, but I am going to ask it anyway just to rule it out. Did you make sure that they are opening the correct version of the file (and not some unsigned copy)?

Upvote 0
Yes, I even remote-assisted into their computers, unlocked my VB code and verified that my digital signature was still there.

The signature exists, but the trust center ignores it.

So much for respect (LOL)

Upvote 0
That is very strange, I never heard of that happening before. I have to believe that there has to be something different about their Excel. They are on the same version as everyone else?

On the computers where it does work, does it also work when you use your Remote Connection (maybe that has something to do with it)?

I am afraid I am at a loss. If all the settings are the same as the other computers where it does work, and everyone is on the same version, then it should work.

If you discover the solution to this mystery, please post back. I am very interested in what could be causing this.

Upvote 0
I used self-signed macros for two years, then - poof - the digital certificates were no longer recognized (XL2003). Never really figured it out - finally gave up using them. I'd aim for using trusted locations in 2007, if I could, to enable macros. Also BTW addins will always enable macros.

I'm also curious if you learn anything but, as mentioned, I don't really trust self-certs anymore.

Alex

Upvote 0
Interesting, I have used them in Excel/Access 2000, 2003, and 2007 without difficulty.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gleisner2

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back