Try to copy a tab into another workbook and nothing happens

paulym666

Hi,
I have a workbook that I can't save - it suddenly started crashing Excel when I try to save it. It's big and complex, but it's not old and there's no VB in it. I can't find any way to stop Excel crashing when saving. (For example I found it had 35,000 hidden named ranges - I deleted those. I found it had about 1,000 custom styles - I deleted those. That didn't make any difference.)
I'm happy if anyone can give me advice on other things I can check for that might be making Excel crash.
Failing that, I'm trying to reconstruct a version of the file simply by copying the tabs into a fresh workbook. All tabs can be copied over except one. It's quite large (nearly 2000 columns, but only 120 rows) but largely very simple - most of it is simply retrieving data from a separate workbook by direct links to individual cells in that workbook. It seems fairly standard, but when I right click on the tab and select "move or copy" and try to copy it to the fresh workbook, nothing happens at all. No error message, nothing, and no new tab in the fresh workbook.
Any ideas why Excel wont let me copy that tab over and how I can fix that?
Thanks,
Paul

Excel Facts

Will the fill handle fill 1, 2, 3?
Yes! Type 1 in a cell. Hold down Ctrl while you drag the fill handle.
A corrupt workbook is hard to recover sometimes. I have had to copy and paste data without formatting to a fresh workbook to solve the problems.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mbone Mathonsi

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back