Trying to create table of contents with hyperlinks, but Hyperlinking formula not working - please help!

BaZ_2020

Office Version
  1. 2016
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi MrExcel,

This site has been so useful in the past, but for some reason I can't find the solution to what I am looking for today.
I have 95% built what I want, but the hyperlinking of cells is just not working for me. Perhaps you can help, please? The troublesome part of my code is highlighted in red below

Essentially, what I am trying to do is to create a table of contents on a sheet called "Index"
- Source data is rest of workbook, sheets 6 to 12 and specifically the below

So, let's say that I am looking at Sheet6, and I am always interested in looking from cell A2 and below. If a cell is blank, I want to offset by one row.
If the cell is not blank, I want to create a hyperlink on the sheet called Index in cell B9 and below so that...

- The value of cell B9 on index sheet is the same as the value of that cell on its individual tab (ie Index sheet, cell B9 = (Sheet6,Cell A2) if that cell, A2, is not blank.
- Hyperlink Index sheet, cell B9 to Sheet6, cell A2.

And so forth until row 50, and then repeat for the remainder of the sheets.

I am happy with the VBA code I have so far (which will need some final tweaks to allow for the full range of data), but I can't get the hyperlinking bit to work.
- this is under the header of 'Hyperlinking magic' in the below.

As FYI,
- RowNumIndexSheet refers to the row number of reference on Index Sheet
- RowNumQnrSheet refers to the row number of reference on other Sheets of interest
- i, j and k are normal counters

----------------
Sub Create_Hyperlinks()

Dim i, j, k, RowNumIndexSheet, RowNumQnrSheet As Integer

' **Start from Sheet 4, the first sheet which has survey questions**

' i = number of sheets in workbook
i = 0
j = 0
k = 0

' Change INITIAL row number of index or questionnaire sheet below
RowNumIndexSheet = 9
RowNumQnrSheet = 3

For i = 4 To ActiveWorkbook.Sheets.Count

For k = RowNumQnrSheet To 4
Sheets(i).Select
Cells(RowNumQnrSheet, 1).Select

If Sheets(i).Range("A" & RowNumQnrSheet).Value = "" Then
ActiveCell.Offset(1, 0).Select
End If

If Sheets(i).Range("A" & RowNumQnrSheet).Value <> "" Then

Sheets("Index").Select
Cells(RowNumIndexSheet, 1).Select
Sheets("Index").Range("A" & RowNumIndexSheet).Value = Sheets(i).Name
'Sheets("Index").Range("B" & RowNumIndexSheet).Value = Sheets(i).Range("A" & RowNumQnrSheet).Value

'Hyperlinking magic
Sheets("Index").Range("B" & RowNumIndexSheet).Select

ActiveCell.hyperlinks.Add Anchor:=ActiveCell, Address:="", SubAddress:="" & Sheets(i).Name & "!" & Range(1, RowNumQnrSheet) & "", ScreenTip:="", TextToDisplay:=Sheets(i).Range("A" & RowNumQnrSheet).Value

RowNumIndexSheet = RowNumIndexSheet + 1
End If

Next k
RowNumIndexSheet = RowNumIndexSheet + 1

Next i

End Sub

Excel Facts

How to fill five years of quarters?
Type 1Q-2023 in a cell. Grab the fill handle and drag down or right. After 4Q-2023, Excel will jump to 1Q-2024. Dash can be any character.
Hi @6StringJazzer

The cell is being populated by the text I want, but the actual hyperlink part is not working, so the subaddress part of the hyperlinking statement is the problem.

I believe it has to do with the way I am referring to the cell I want it to hyperlink to but no matter whether I use Range or Cells I can't get the hyperlink to be generated.

I can find formulas with constant cell ranges and the hyperlinks work fine but not one with variable cells

Upvote 0
Try
VBA Code:
ActiveCell.Hyperlinks.Add Anchor:=ActiveCell, Address:="", SubAddress:="'" & Sheets(i).Name & "'!" & Range("A" & RowNumQnrSheet), ScreenTip:="", TextToDisplay:=Sheets(i).Range("A" & RowNumQnrSheet).Value

Upvote 0
Hi @Fluff

Have now tried this, but the hyperlink does not get created properly.

Macro runs, but if I click on one of the hyperlinks to test if it has worked, I get below error message

1585669550882.png

Upvote 0
How about
VBA Code:
ActiveCell.Hyperlinks.Add Anchor:=ActiveCell, Address:="", SubAddress:="'" & Sheets(i).Name & "'!" & Sheets(i).Range("A" & RowNumQnrSheet).Address, ScreenTip:="", TextToDisplay:=Sheets(i).Range("A" & RowNumQnrSheet).Value

Upvote 0
You're welcome & thanks for the feedback

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mariah3

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back